Hi all,
I'm currently trying to figure out what I need and don't need for my M42 build. Done a lot of search on the net and came down to a reasonable set-up which will use S50 throttle bodies (already bought some) and a set of Cat Cams. Was thinking of using Schrick sports cams but think I may need a little longer duration to allow the engine to get the most out of the ITBs.
I kind of ended up with the choice of 269 / 269 deg. & 10.0mm lift Cat Cams.
Question I have, looking at the wiki here and the Cat Cam specs for the oem cams, the duration is the same but their page says the oem cams have a 9.70mm lift when the wiki here says 10.2mm lift. Will I have any issue with valve clearance as lift at TDC with the Cat Cams is 1.15mm & 0.9mm more then OEM (this is going off the Cat Cam website)
I looked through other sources and these 2 different specs keep coming up.
Now, has anyone had experience using these cams? Would I get away using the standard valvetrain or its advisable to start upgrading valves & springs?
And lastly, any estimation to what the engine would have to rev to with 269 / 269 deg. cams? This is more to figure out whether solid lifters are needed or can use oem followers as the car will be used daily and needs to be relatively easy to live with.
M42 Camshaft help
Moderator: martauto
-
captain_chaos
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 54
- Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:00 pm
- Location: Co. Durham, United Kingdom
-
motormanmick
- E30 Zone Regular

- Posts: 259
- Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:00 pm
- Location: Coffs Hbr, Aust
hello captain_chaos,
Guy in this post fitted your catcams to his m42 and has some info for you + power/torque/rpm numbers. cheers.
http://www.m42club.com/forum/index.php? ... c=14451.15
Guy in this post fitted your catcams to his m42 and has some info for you + power/torque/rpm numbers. cheers.
http://www.m42club.com/forum/index.php? ... c=14451.15
-
motormanmick
- E30 Zone Regular

- Posts: 259
- Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:00 pm
- Location: Coffs Hbr, Aust
Thanks Will, you are the man, I should have checked link after posting, cheers.
-
captain_chaos
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 54
- Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:00 pm
- Location: Co. Durham, United Kingdom
Ah motormanmick you legend! Thank you! I been trying to register on M42 club forum too but having trouble with getting the activation.
But thank you for the link!
But thank you for the link!
-
captain_chaos
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 54
- Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:00 pm
- Location: Co. Durham, United Kingdom
May be a daft question but would the 152bhp made be at the wheel or flywheel? Doesn't say in the thread.
I can then assume that could get away with stock valve train and use the oem lifters since it made the peak power bellow 7k revs?
I can then assume that could get away with stock valve train and use the oem lifters since it made the peak power bellow 7k revs?
-
motormanmick
- E30 Zone Regular

- Posts: 259
- Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:00 pm
- Location: Coffs Hbr, Aust
Not a daft question, just wishful thinking, but yes that would be bhp at the flywheel and from the read it looks like he stayed with the std valve gear and lifters, which is ideal for a street driven car.
-
rix313
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 4969
- Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:00 pm
- Location: Silverstone
Keen to see how you get on with this as I'd like to pop some better cams in my engine.
-
captain_chaos
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 54
- Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:00 pm
- Location: Co. Durham, United Kingdom
Haha yea, I did think 152 at the wheel with just cams and a generic map is a bit optimistic. Any idea what sort of figures I might see with S50 ITB conversion and a custom map on a megasquirt?
And yea, think I will stick with stock lifters as the rev range doesn't require solids and be better as a daily. But think I may go for VAC motorsport valve and spring kit because this car will see the limiter a lot and a few drift days too.
And yea, think I will stick with stock lifters as the rev range doesn't require solids and be better as a daily. But think I may go for VAC motorsport valve and spring kit because this car will see the limiter a lot and a few drift days too.
