M42 Camshaft help

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

User avatar
captain_chaos
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:00 pm
Location: Co. Durham, United Kingdom

Post Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:41 pm

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to figure out what I need and don't need for my M42 build. Done a lot of search on the net and came down to a reasonable set-up which will use S50 throttle bodies (already bought some) and a set of Cat Cams. Was thinking of using Schrick sports cams but think I may need a little longer duration to allow the engine to get the most out of the ITBs.

I kind of ended up with the choice of 269 / 269 deg. & 10.0mm lift Cat Cams.

Question I have, looking at the wiki here and the Cat Cam specs for the oem cams, the duration is the same but their page says the oem cams have a 9.70mm lift when the wiki here says 10.2mm lift. Will I have any issue with valve clearance as lift at TDC with the Cat Cams is 1.15mm & 0.9mm more then OEM (this is going off the Cat Cam website)

I looked through other sources and these 2 different specs keep coming up.

Now, has anyone had experience using these cams? Would I get away using the standard valvetrain or its advisable to start upgrading valves & springs?

And lastly, any estimation to what the engine would have to rev to with 269 / 269 deg. cams? This is more to figure out whether solid lifters are needed or can use oem followers as the car will be used daily and needs to be relatively easy to live with.
User avatar
motormanmick
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: Coffs Hbr, Aust

Post Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:30 pm

hello captain_chaos,
Guy in this post fitted your catcams to his m42 and has some info for you + power/torque/rpm numbers. cheers.
http://www.m42club.com/forum/index.php? ... c=14451.15
User avatar
motormanmick
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: Coffs Hbr, Aust

Post Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:22 am

Thanks Will, you are the man, I should have checked link after posting, cheers.
User avatar
captain_chaos
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:00 pm
Location: Co. Durham, United Kingdom

Post Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:52 am

Ah motormanmick you legend! Thank you! I been trying to register on M42 club forum too but having trouble with getting the activation.

But thank you for the link! :D
User avatar
captain_chaos
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:00 pm
Location: Co. Durham, United Kingdom

Post Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:19 am

May be a daft question but would the 152bhp made be at the wheel or flywheel? Doesn't say in the thread.

I can then assume that could get away with stock valve train and use the oem lifters since it made the peak power bellow 7k revs?
User avatar
motormanmick
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: Coffs Hbr, Aust

Post Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:42 am

Not a daft question, just wishful thinking, but yes that would be bhp at the flywheel and from the read it looks like he stayed with the std valve gear and lifters, which is ideal for a street driven car.
rix313
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 4969
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:00 pm
Location: Silverstone

Post Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:16 am

Keen to see how you get on with this as I'd like to pop some better cams in my engine.
User avatar
captain_chaos
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:00 pm
Location: Co. Durham, United Kingdom

Post Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:18 pm

Haha yea, I did think 152 at the wheel with just cams and a generic map is a bit optimistic. Any idea what sort of figures I might see with S50 ITB conversion and a custom map on a megasquirt?

And yea, think I will stick with stock lifters as the rev range doesn't require solids and be better as a daily. But think I may go for VAC motorsport valve and spring kit because this car will see the limiter a lot and a few drift days too.