E34 2.5 engine and gearbox

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

User avatar
Jak2303
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:00 pm

Post Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:12 pm

Hello I am new to this so correct me I have written this in the wrong place.

I have a e34 2.5 engine and gearbox I have put into a 1993 316 touring.
A few things have become apparent -
The propshafts will not fit (316 or e34 one) what prop do I need?
The gear selector rod is to long. What one do I need?
The radiator from the e34 does not sit in the e30 mounts it is too wide. Do I need a new mount as it fits within the chassis.
Are these the only problems I am going to encounter or should I expect more?

Thanks

Jak
User avatar
Jak2303
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:00 pm

Post Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:35 pm

It is an M20 engine.
markus_74
E30 Zone Camper
E30 Zone Camper
Posts: 1078
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:00 pm
Location: Kudus city, Indonesia

Post Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:53 am

I have done it before, but I just use the engine block from e34.

Gearbox I use from e30.

Gear selector I cut and welded but not perfect so I buy new one originally for g260 box.

Propshaft is very difficult to cut and balance so I buy also the correct one for it

Yes you need correct mount for e30.

Same radiator.

And for complete guide you can see at wikizone
User avatar
Jak2303
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:00 pm

Post Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:09 pm

The gearbox is a getrag 048821 NZ do you know what propshaft and selector i need?
User avatar
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 49360
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:28 pm

Isn't there going to be a problem with the guibo size being different between the E34 box and an E30 prop?
User avatar
Jak2303
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:00 pm

Post Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:26 am

Yes the e34 box has a bigger flange fixing. Is the e30 325 prop flange the same as the e34? ( the 3 bolt fixing from prop to gearbox)
Would the 1.6 gearbox flange fit on the e34 gearbox?
Or would the 1.6 gearbox fit on the e34 engine and hold up under the new power?
Thanks

Jak
User avatar
Jak2303
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:00 pm

Post Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:16 pm

Will a 320 gearbox fit? Straight bolt on jobby?
bmw9818
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 2561
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:00 pm
Location: Croydon

Post Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:51 pm

you will need a 320 prop and the relevant shift rod as there all different,
User avatar
Jak2303
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:00 pm

Post Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:56 pm

I have a 320 gear selector rod and a 325 prop, will this work with a 320 box?
User avatar
BenHar
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 3089
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:00 pm
Location: Reigate, Surrey

Post Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:57 pm

Andyboy
Alpina Colada
Posts: 12580
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: Notts

Post Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:10 am

Jak2303 wrote:Will a 320 gearbox fit? Straight bolt on jobby?
Should do. Also, the E34 dipstick fits into the sump and not the block so make sure it's drilled!
User avatar
Jak2303
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:00 pm

Post Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:19 pm

Apologies upon opening a new thread on an old post!
As you can see from the above i have fitted an e34 2.5 engine into an e30! Its all in and running! I had no heaters or electric windows! I found a mod on here with a few wires which worked a treat!
I have no temp guage! When i bridge the sensor plug it goes to max but does not go up when plugged into the sensor in the engine (when it is hot) any ideas?
And my rev counter goes way off the chart! Could these issues be because i still have the 1.6 dash in?
Thanks again

Jak
User avatar
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 49360
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:33 pm

E34 M20 engine uses a different sensor than the one on an E30. 2 wire connection on the E34 for a start, and only one wire on the E30, which earths through its case to the engine block. I've no idea whether the two have similar temp./resistance properties, but the easiest solution is to fit an E30 'brown' one. Second hand is fine - they rarely fail.
Rev. counter issue is because of the 'coding plug' fitted to the front lower right corner of the instrument cluster. You have a four cylinder one, and need a six cylinder one. Just pulls out, once you have exposed it by removing the trim piece under the cluster.