Hello I am new to this so correct me I have written this in the wrong place.
I have a e34 2.5 engine and gearbox I have put into a 1993 316 touring.
A few things have become apparent -
The propshafts will not fit (316 or e34 one) what prop do I need?
The gear selector rod is to long. What one do I need?
The radiator from the e34 does not sit in the e30 mounts it is too wide. Do I need a new mount as it fits within the chassis.
Are these the only problems I am going to encounter or should I expect more?
Thanks
Jak
E34 2.5 engine and gearbox
Moderator: martauto
-
markus_74
- E30 Zone Camper

- Posts: 1078
- Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:00 pm
- Location: Kudus city, Indonesia
I have done it before, but I just use the engine block from e34.
Gearbox I use from e30.
Gear selector I cut and welded but not perfect so I buy new one originally for g260 box.
Propshaft is very difficult to cut and balance so I buy also the correct one for it
Yes you need correct mount for e30.
Same radiator.
And for complete guide you can see at wikizone
Gearbox I use from e30.
Gear selector I cut and welded but not perfect so I buy new one originally for g260 box.
Propshaft is very difficult to cut and balance so I buy also the correct one for it
Yes you need correct mount for e30.
Same radiator.
And for complete guide you can see at wikizone
-
Jak2303
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 10
- Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:00 pm
The gearbox is a getrag 048821 NZ do you know what propshaft and selector i need?
-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Isn't there going to be a problem with the guibo size being different between the E34 box and an E30 prop?
-
Jak2303
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 10
- Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:00 pm
Yes the e34 box has a bigger flange fixing. Is the e30 325 prop flange the same as the e34? ( the 3 bolt fixing from prop to gearbox)
Would the 1.6 gearbox flange fit on the e34 gearbox?
Or would the 1.6 gearbox fit on the e34 engine and hold up under the new power?
Thanks
Jak
Would the 1.6 gearbox flange fit on the e34 gearbox?
Or would the 1.6 gearbox fit on the e34 engine and hold up under the new power?
Thanks
Jak
-
Jak2303
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 10
- Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:00 pm
Will a 320 gearbox fit? Straight bolt on jobby?
-
bmw9818
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 2561
- Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:00 pm
- Location: Croydon
you will need a 320 prop and the relevant shift rod as there all different,
-
Jak2303
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 10
- Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:00 pm
I have a 320 gear selector rod and a 325 prop, will this work with a 320 box?
-
BenHar
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 3089
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:00 pm
- Location: Reigate, Surrey
-
Andyboy
- Alpina Colada
- Posts: 12580
- Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:00 pm
- Location: Notts
Should do. Also, the E34 dipstick fits into the sump and not the block so make sure it's drilled!Jak2303 wrote:Will a 320 gearbox fit? Straight bolt on jobby?
-
Jak2303
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 10
- Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:00 pm
Apologies upon opening a new thread on an old post!
As you can see from the above i have fitted an e34 2.5 engine into an e30! Its all in and running! I had no heaters or electric windows! I found a mod on here with a few wires which worked a treat!
I have no temp guage! When i bridge the sensor plug it goes to max but does not go up when plugged into the sensor in the engine (when it is hot) any ideas?
And my rev counter goes way off the chart! Could these issues be because i still have the 1.6 dash in?
Thanks again
Jak
As you can see from the above i have fitted an e34 2.5 engine into an e30! Its all in and running! I had no heaters or electric windows! I found a mod on here with a few wires which worked a treat!
I have no temp guage! When i bridge the sensor plug it goes to max but does not go up when plugged into the sensor in the engine (when it is hot) any ideas?
And my rev counter goes way off the chart! Could these issues be because i still have the 1.6 dash in?
Thanks again
Jak
-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
E34 M20 engine uses a different sensor than the one on an E30. 2 wire connection on the E34 for a start, and only one wire on the E30, which earths through its case to the engine block. I've no idea whether the two have similar temp./resistance properties, but the easiest solution is to fit an E30 'brown' one. Second hand is fine - they rarely fail.
Rev. counter issue is because of the 'coding plug' fitted to the front lower right corner of the instrument cluster. You have a four cylinder one, and need a six cylinder one. Just pulls out, once you have exposed it by removing the trim piece under the cluster.
Rev. counter issue is because of the 'coding plug' fitted to the front lower right corner of the instrument cluster. You have a four cylinder one, and need a six cylinder one. Just pulls out, once you have exposed it by removing the trim piece under the cluster.
