M54B30 advice

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

User avatar
Tewkes
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:00 pm

Post Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:36 pm

Can't seem to find much advice on here about the m54b30 engine. I currently have a full 330 car and engine which I'm breaking.
As I'm looking for another e30 or e21, I was wondering what's the adivicr on fitting this into an e30. I can't seem to find a section or on search but I've seen it been done.

I am contemplating keeping it to fit, if it's reasonable as its a solid engine. Low miles. New belts etc.
DanThe
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 28649
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Staffs

Post Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:13 pm

Not many people in the UK fit the M54B30, main reasons are they usually demand more money to buy and the power is only as good as a M52B28 with M50 intake manifold and map.
I'm halfway through converting an E30 at the moment with one of these engines
User avatar
Tewkes
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:00 pm

Post Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:40 pm

How much is the b28 engine though?

What about electrics, mounting and rad etc?
DanThe
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 28649
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Staffs

Post Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:36 pm

You can pick up a 2.8 for £200-£300
Electrics are more tricky, but I've pretty much got it sorted now
User avatar
Tewkes
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:00 pm

Post Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:15 pm

Tricky in what sense?

Can't find much info online. Sorry for the questions.
User avatar
Tewkes
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:00 pm

Post Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:35 am

I understand.

Isit a normal mapping company that's able to code out a lot of the features or isit more specialised than that?
HairyScreech
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Posts: 6265
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:00 pm

Post Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:47 pm

You can run the M54 on the OBD1 management using the DISA and twin vanos controller made buy a guy in the states.

Think the Siemens M52 ECU etc can be used as well but tuning is tougher in the UK as less support.
2.8 development thread http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... c&t=170822

m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
User avatar
Tewkes
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:00 pm

Post Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:58 pm

How much is that unit made on the states?
User avatar
reggid
E30 Zone Squatter
E30 Zone Squatter
Posts: 1984
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Oz

Post Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:01 am

The guy from Racehead.com.au has a couple M54B30's running on EMU (economical standalone) with vanos control and good results etc.
E30 325is with M20B31
User avatar
Tewkes
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:00 pm

Post Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:27 am

I'm so confused here with all these different methods to running the engine haha. It's a pretty tough subject as not many have done it.
User avatar
ajay
E30 Zone Camper
E30 Zone Camper
Posts: 1041
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:00 pm

Post Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:04 am

Getting your M54B30 running is pretty much the same as an S54, and there are plenty of them running in E30's in various different forms, have a chat with Ergen motorsport (Adem) i'm sure he can supply you a modified plug & play kit that includes flashing your ecu, its not the way i'm doing mine ( standard ecu) but probably your best bet if you have no wiring experience.
User avatar
Tewkes
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:00 pm

Post Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:30 pm

I'll be sure to give him a ring.