propshaft shake at 30-50 miles hours.

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

markus_74
E30 Zone Camper
E30 Zone Camper
Posts: 1078
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:00 pm
Location: Kudus city, Indonesia

Post Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:28 am

Hello,

Need some info, I have try to fix my propshaft shake since last month.

I have replaced rubber giubo, complete propshaft that is factory balanced, center bearing.

The only 1 that I have not replaced yet is the center bush propshaft.

I see that the center Bush has deteriorate and no rubber so between center output flange and propshaft bush still have space to play.

Does bad center bush making shake at propshaft?

Any one have idea, what should I do?

Thank you
Markus
User avatar
bimanut
E30 Zone Camper
E30 Zone Camper
Posts: 1194
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:00 pm
Location: Warrington

Post Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:38 pm

Yes,a broken centre bearing will cause the prop to move about giving rumbling noises,vibrations and the odd knock now and then.
You will need to change it,if left in this state for too long and it will start to cause damage to the linkages on the prop.
Image
HairyScreech
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Posts: 6265
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:00 pm

Post Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:46 pm

No he's on about the rubber end locating bush, the rubber bit that goes over the "spike" on the output shaft of the gearbox.

Yes if there is not one in there it can lead to shaft location problems.
2.8 development thread http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... c&t=170822

m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
markus_74
E30 Zone Camper
E30 Zone Camper
Posts: 1078
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:00 pm
Location: Kudus city, Indonesia

Post Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:57 pm

Yes, it is the rubber bush in the front inside the propshaft . I will replace it tomorrow.

But if there is still shake can it be rubber giubo? (I buy cheap one not genuine/original I see
that the rubber look like different harder than original).

Also does maybe diff bush and gearbox bush may be has influenced the shake?

Any idea?
User avatar
bimanut
E30 Zone Camper
E30 Zone Camper
Posts: 1194
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:00 pm
Location: Warrington

Post Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:03 pm

My bad, didn't read it properly :o:
Working nights messes with your head!
Image
HairyScreech
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Posts: 6265
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:00 pm

Post Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:11 pm

Wouldn't worry about it, just fit the aftermarket one, it is only there to aid in centering the prop, if it is not there then the prop can given the right conditions sit off-center and shake.
2.8 development thread http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... c&t=170822

m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
markus_74
E30 Zone Camper
E30 Zone Camper
Posts: 1078
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:00 pm
Location: Kudus city, Indonesia

Post Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:25 pm

Problem solved after I installed new center sleeve bushing and now vibration gone.

Thank you for all info
Markus