Broken Key
Moderator: martauto
-
Stevenld
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 20
- Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:00 pm
Alright. I have a 1987 325is I broke the key in the door while trying to unlock the driver side door. It's stuck in there pretty deep and in horizontal position. I've tried pulling up on the locks with a cable but they don't want to come up at all. That was my only key so I can't unlock anything to get in my car. Is there a way to get in the car or extract the key or something. The trunk and both doors are locked but I can get into the engine bay.
-
brutus
- E30 Zone Squatter

- Posts: 1623
- Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:00 pm
- Location: east london
its a task,, try a magnet that might fit in the gap ? ..
-
brutus
- E30 Zone Squatter

- Posts: 1623
- Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:00 pm
- Location: east london
yep, back ones are cheaper if it all goes wrong ! 
-
bab-91
- Married to the E30 Zone

- Posts: 7174
- Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:00 pm
- Location: Northern Ireland
[youtube][/youtube]

The Internet - It has proven to be worthless, and is nothing but a repository for perverts.
IG - bab91
IG - bab91
-
Stevenld
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 20
- Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:00 pm
I just bought the car and still working on getting it drivable. I tried a magnet and it didn't work and it's to far for the tweezers to do anything.
-
Yeti
- Old Skooler

- Posts: 273
- Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:00 pm
2dr 4dr? you can get people out to open the car also bmw do new ones for £20 ish i checked the other week
-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
brutus wrote:yep, back ones are cheaper if it all goes wrong !
Maybe, but I've yet to work out how to disconnect the demister element plugs from the outside. Front screen is easy to remove and replace with a bit of care.
If the key that you broke worked in the ignition and all the locks, it was probably the original, so investing around £20 with BMW for a shiny new torch key is probably the best solution.
You still won't get into the car if the deadlocks are set, but you will be able to get into the boot, be able to remove the ski hatch blanking plate, and get into the cabin that way if you are slim, or use a small child to wind down a window.
-
Stevenld
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 20
- Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:00 pm
Well. I extracted the broken key by removing the silver dust cover and taking a scroll saw blade. It was very quick and caused me no problems. You just slide the blade all the way in turn it some to apply pressure from the teeth to the key and pull out and it comes right out. Also I'm located in Texas, USA My local bmw dealership is asking around $90 dollars for a new key for that car and it would take a week to get in. So I'm trying to stay away from that idea
