The ETK shows two temperature sensors at the side of the engine, I was wondering do I have to replace both, and what is the procedure for replacing them.
Thanks,
Kevin.
Finding and replacing M42 engine temperature sensor
Moderator: martauto
-
Demlotcrew
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 13329
- Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:00 pm
- Location: East Anglia
Why do you have to replace them?
A
A
-
kevin316i
- E30 Zone Regular

- Posts: 783
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
The temp gauge is consistently reading low, usually between the blue mark and the quarter mark, but there is plenty of warm air being generated by the heating system so the car is warming up during driving.
-
Demlotcrew
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 13329
- Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:00 pm
- Location: East Anglia
The one you need to replace is under the inlet manifold, so its rather tricky to do!
See here;
http://www.esatclear.ie/~bpurcell/318is ... ifoldleaks
A
See here;
http://www.esatclear.ie/~bpurcell/318is ... ifoldleaks
A
-
David318is
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 28
- Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Long Eaton,Notts
Check what thermostat you have . I put a new one in at the same time as I changed the timing chains,old one opened at 87c new one opened at 77c resulting in the needle now sitting between the blue and the quarter marks
-
kevin316i
- E30 Zone Regular

- Posts: 783
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Thats a good point. The engine temp was reading at 75 deg C during a recent diagnostic when I was getting my misfire issue sorted, but I don't know if the engine was fully warmed up when these results were generated. Which is the correct thermostat for the 318iS?

