Finding and replacing M42 engine temperature sensor

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

User avatar
kevin316i
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 783
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:47 pm

The ETK shows two temperature sensors at the side of the engine, I was wondering do I have to replace both, and what is the procedure for replacing them.

Thanks,
Kevin.
Demlotcrew
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 13329
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:00 pm
Location: East Anglia

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:35 pm

Why do you have to replace them?

A
User avatar
kevin316i
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 783
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:16 pm

The temp gauge is consistently reading low, usually between the blue mark and the quarter mark, but there is plenty of warm air being generated by the heating system so the car is warming up during driving.
Demlotcrew
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 13329
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:00 pm
Location: East Anglia

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:16 pm

The one you need to replace is under the inlet manifold, so its rather tricky to do!

See here;

http://www.esatclear.ie/~bpurcell/318is ... ifoldleaks

A
User avatar
kevin316i
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 783
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:33 pm

Thanks.
User avatar
David318is
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Long Eaton,Notts

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:51 pm

Check what thermostat you have . I put a new one in at the same time as I changed the timing chains,old one opened at 87c new one opened at 77c resulting in the needle now sitting between the blue and the quarter marks
User avatar
kevin316i
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 783
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:00 am

Thats a good point. The engine temp was reading at 75 deg C during a recent diagnostic when I was getting my misfire issue sorted, but I don't know if the engine was fully warmed up when these results were generated. Which is the correct thermostat for the 318iS?