Rattle rattle @ rear

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

rowemeister
E30 Zone Squatter
E30 Zone Squatter
Posts: 1586
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Doncaster

Post Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:38 pm

I remember reading about this a year or so ago but I need a recap.

I have an annoying metalic rattle from the rear wheels, when I pull the handbrake on 1-2 notches it stops. So obviously its to do with the handbrake. But what exactly is causeing it?

Ta!
325i Sport with Hartge H27 lump
Image
TOURINGDADDY
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 2268
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: PORTSMOUTH

Post Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:41 pm

broken fittin kit or lose cable
Image
E30BeemerLad
Married to the E30 Zone
Married to the E30 Zone
Posts: 16806
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Norfolk

Post Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:53 pm

I think I know what it is. Do you have locking wheel nuts?

If so you may find one of the studs is longer and it pokes through and catches the handbrake shoes. A quick go with a grinder or a bit of sweating with a file should see it gone.

Confused the hell out of me when I changed the rear pads and handbrake shoes!

Would love to know if this does cure it..
e30_Turbo
Boost Junkie
Posts: 3158
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: East Anglia

Post Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:58 pm

Do the rear brakes have dust gaurds like the fronts? They're thin metal, bet that would rattle if loose....or the exhaust gaurd directly above the rear box, they hang down after time and I know I've had to mess with the one on my last e30.
HTH, Mark.
Image
Martinaston
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 3749
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: London

Post Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:03 pm

Does it only do it when you hit a bump ?
Most noticeable at about 10-15 mph.
Simon
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 14939
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: South Wales

Post Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:04 pm

Every E30 I've had did this!! I sorted it on the M3 by buying a new spring kit, only a few quid from the dealers, easy to fix too!
Image
Wilson
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 725
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Ipswich

Post Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:26 pm

E30BeemerLad wrote:I think I know what it is. Do you have locking wheel nuts?
If so you may find one of the studs is longer and it pokes through and catches the handbrake shoes. A quick go with a grinder or a bit of sweating with a file should see it gone.
Confused the hell out of me when I changed the rear pads and handbrake shoes!
Would love to know if this does cure it..
I had this problem... I just took couple mm of the end of bolt and it sorted this, But I reckon it is more than likely this....
TOURINGDADDY wrote:broken fittin kit or lose cable
The springs that hold the rear brake shoes can break and rattle about, it is very easy to fix... They were broken on mine and I replaced them. although now another rattle has started and it seems to be the adjuster loose, I will be re adjusting all the handbrake soon.
Image
rowemeister
E30 Zone Squatter
E30 Zone Squatter
Posts: 1586
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Doncaster

Post Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:29 am

Thanks for the replies.

I will start by checking the locking wheel nuts. I have the feeling its adjuster related though has I have to lift the handbrake lever quite high (I have adjusted nuts under gater). New shoes 3 years ago!!

I hope its the nuts. :?
325i Sport with Hartge H27 lump
Image
E30Mark
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 8107
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Wimborne, Dorset

Post Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:00 am

Will be handbrake adjustment, tighten it up, job done. 8)

Took me ages to find the rattle in my first E30, even changed the exhaust because i thought the noise was from the back box :roll:
User avatar
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 49360
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:14 am

The nuts on the handbrake are NOT the handbrake wear adjustment!
If you've been messing with them to adjust the handbrake, then back them right off, and adjust the handbrake properly through one of the wheel bolt holes.
When you've got them set right, then adjust the cables at the handbrake end to give the right no of clicks and to balance them.
Adjusting the brakes for wear at the lever messes up the shoes, and gives poor handbrake performance.
Wilson
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 725
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Ipswich

Post Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:22 am

:yeahthat:

That is def true, guy who had my car before had adjusted by the lever!!!
Image
E30Mark
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 8107
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Wimborne, Dorset

Post Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:23 am

Just realised what i had written did make it sound like adjusting the cable at the lever, which as Brian says is a no no.

I really must get outside and adjust my handbrake as it's useless, and i live on a hill :?
rowemeister
E30 Zone Squatter
E30 Zone Squatter
Posts: 1586
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Doncaster

Post Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:54 am

So you can adjust through a wheel nut hole. cool.
Do I just use a small flat screw driver to adjust the ratchet?
325i Sport with Hartge H27 lump
Image
Wilson
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 725
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Ipswich

Post Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:22 am

rowemeister wrote:So you can adjust through a wheel nut hole. cool.
Do I just use a small flat screw driver to adjust the ratchet?
Yes... it is v slightly to the left of top, shine a light through the whole you'll see it, think normally a goldy colour bit! can be a bit fiddly through there! I normally take the wheel off, but not the disc/hub, to give a bit more leverage room
Image
rowemeister
E30 Zone Squatter
E30 Zone Squatter
Posts: 1586
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Doncaster

Post Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:26 am

sweet. cheers :wink:

Just thought!!! is it top left on both wheels or is one top right?
325i Sport with Hartge H27 lump
Image
User avatar
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 49360
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:33 am

I have a medium sized flat blade screwdriver, with just the very tip bent over ar right angles. It has many uses - this is one of them.
rowemeister
E30 Zone Squatter
E30 Zone Squatter
Posts: 1586
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Doncaster

Post Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:43 am

mmmmm I may have to bend a screw driver then if it helps the job

cheers
325i Sport with Hartge H27 lump
Image
Wilson
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 725
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Ipswich

Post Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:03 pm

rowemeister wrote:sweet. cheers :wink:

Just thought!!! is it top left on both wheels or is one top right?
Oops can't remember! :oops:
Image
rowemeister
E30 Zone Squatter
E30 Zone Squatter
Posts: 1586
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Doncaster

Post Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:32 pm

lol
325i Sport with Hartge H27 lump
Image