Rattle rattle @ rear
Moderator: martauto
-
rowemeister
- E30 Zone Squatter

- Posts: 1586
- Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Doncaster
I remember reading about this a year or so ago but I need a recap.
I have an annoying metalic rattle from the rear wheels, when I pull the handbrake on 1-2 notches it stops. So obviously its to do with the handbrake. But what exactly is causeing it?
Ta!
I have an annoying metalic rattle from the rear wheels, when I pull the handbrake on 1-2 notches it stops. So obviously its to do with the handbrake. But what exactly is causeing it?
Ta!
325i Sport with Hartge H27 lump


-
TOURINGDADDY
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 2268
- Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: PORTSMOUTH
-
E30BeemerLad
- Married to the E30 Zone

- Posts: 16806
- Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Norfolk
I think I know what it is. Do you have locking wheel nuts?
If so you may find one of the studs is longer and it pokes through and catches the handbrake shoes. A quick go with a grinder or a bit of sweating with a file should see it gone.
Confused the hell out of me when I changed the rear pads and handbrake shoes!
Would love to know if this does cure it..
If so you may find one of the studs is longer and it pokes through and catches the handbrake shoes. A quick go with a grinder or a bit of sweating with a file should see it gone.
Confused the hell out of me when I changed the rear pads and handbrake shoes!
Would love to know if this does cure it..
-
e30_Turbo
- Boost Junkie
- Posts: 3158
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: East Anglia
-
Martinaston
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 3749
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: London
Does it only do it when you hit a bump ?
Most noticeable at about 10-15 mph.
Most noticeable at about 10-15 mph.
-
Simon
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 14939
- Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: South Wales
Every E30 I've had did this!! I sorted it on the M3 by buying a new spring kit, only a few quid from the dealers, easy to fix too!

-
Wilson
- E30 Zone Regular

- Posts: 725
- Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Ipswich
I had this problem... I just took couple mm of the end of bolt and it sorted this, But I reckon it is more than likely this....E30BeemerLad wrote:I think I know what it is. Do you have locking wheel nuts?
If so you may find one of the studs is longer and it pokes through and catches the handbrake shoes. A quick go with a grinder or a bit of sweating with a file should see it gone.
Confused the hell out of me when I changed the rear pads and handbrake shoes!
Would love to know if this does cure it..
The springs that hold the rear brake shoes can break and rattle about, it is very easy to fix... They were broken on mine and I replaced them. although now another rattle has started and it seems to be the adjuster loose, I will be re adjusting all the handbrake soon.TOURINGDADDY wrote:broken fittin kit or lose cable

-
rowemeister
- E30 Zone Squatter

- Posts: 1586
- Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Doncaster
Thanks for the replies.
I will start by checking the locking wheel nuts. I have the feeling its adjuster related though has I have to lift the handbrake lever quite high (I have adjusted nuts under gater). New shoes 3 years ago!!
I hope its the nuts.
I will start by checking the locking wheel nuts. I have the feeling its adjuster related though has I have to lift the handbrake lever quite high (I have adjusted nuts under gater). New shoes 3 years ago!!
I hope its the nuts.
325i Sport with Hartge H27 lump


-
E30Mark
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 8107
- Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Wimborne, Dorset
Will be handbrake adjustment, tighten it up, job done.
Took me ages to find the rattle in my first E30, even changed the exhaust because i thought the noise was from the back box
Took me ages to find the rattle in my first E30, even changed the exhaust because i thought the noise was from the back box
-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
The nuts on the handbrake are NOT the handbrake wear adjustment!
If you've been messing with them to adjust the handbrake, then back them right off, and adjust the handbrake properly through one of the wheel bolt holes.
When you've got them set right, then adjust the cables at the handbrake end to give the right no of clicks and to balance them.
Adjusting the brakes for wear at the lever messes up the shoes, and gives poor handbrake performance.
If you've been messing with them to adjust the handbrake, then back them right off, and adjust the handbrake properly through one of the wheel bolt holes.
When you've got them set right, then adjust the cables at the handbrake end to give the right no of clicks and to balance them.
Adjusting the brakes for wear at the lever messes up the shoes, and gives poor handbrake performance.
-
Wilson
- E30 Zone Regular

- Posts: 725
- Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Ipswich
:yeahthat:
That is def true, guy who had my car before had adjusted by the lever!!!
That is def true, guy who had my car before had adjusted by the lever!!!

-
E30Mark
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 8107
- Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Wimborne, Dorset
Just realised what i had written did make it sound like adjusting the cable at the lever, which as Brian says is a no no.
I really must get outside and adjust my handbrake as it's useless, and i live on a hill
I really must get outside and adjust my handbrake as it's useless, and i live on a hill
-
rowemeister
- E30 Zone Squatter

- Posts: 1586
- Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Doncaster
So you can adjust through a wheel nut hole. cool.
Do I just use a small flat screw driver to adjust the ratchet?
Do I just use a small flat screw driver to adjust the ratchet?
325i Sport with Hartge H27 lump


-
Wilson
- E30 Zone Regular

- Posts: 725
- Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Ipswich
Yes... it is v slightly to the left of top, shine a light through the whole you'll see it, think normally a goldy colour bit! can be a bit fiddly through there! I normally take the wheel off, but not the disc/hub, to give a bit more leverage roomrowemeister wrote:So you can adjust through a wheel nut hole. cool.
Do I just use a small flat screw driver to adjust the ratchet?

-
rowemeister
- E30 Zone Squatter

- Posts: 1586
- Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Doncaster
sweet. cheers 
Just thought!!! is it top left on both wheels or is one top right?
Just thought!!! is it top left on both wheels or is one top right?
325i Sport with Hartge H27 lump


-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
I have a medium sized flat blade screwdriver, with just the very tip bent over ar right angles. It has many uses - this is one of them.
-
rowemeister
- E30 Zone Squatter

- Posts: 1586
- Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Doncaster
mmmmm I may have to bend a screw driver then if it helps the job
cheers
cheers
325i Sport with Hartge H27 lump


-
Wilson
- E30 Zone Regular

- Posts: 725
- Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Ipswich
Oops can't remember!rowemeister wrote:sweet. cheers
Just thought!!! is it top left on both wheels or is one top right?

-
rowemeister
- E30 Zone Squatter

- Posts: 1586
- Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Doncaster
lol
325i Sport with Hartge H27 lump



