Knocking noise and brake light and door

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

User avatar
chaosss
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:51 pm

Hello everyone,

Unfortunately I spanked my 318is into a tyre wall at Castle Combe on Friday. Luckily the only damage is to the passenger door, didn't touch the rear 3/4 panel or front wing. I have put a posted message in the wanted section for a new door!!

Anyway when I hit the tyre wall my brake warning light came on. Now I know the brakes are fine, all new last week, am I likely just to have disturbed/broken the sensor?

More importantly my drivers front suspension seems to have developed a bit of a knock. Sounds a bit like when the rear shock top mounts have gone. Is there anything similar on the front and how easy are they to change?Also seem to have slight rubbing when turning left, again from the same wheel. Is this likely to be the brake disc guard or related to the knock?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Chris
User avatar
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 49360
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:03 pm

Check all the plastic liners under the wheelarches etc. are still in place.
Which brake warning light? The're are up to five on an E30.
User avatar
PeteE30Tourer
E30 Zone Camper
E30 Zone Camper
Posts: 1317
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:00 pm
Location: Dorset

Post Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:18 am

Chris, this should be in the Tech Help section really - i'll move it there for you.
User avatar
chaosss
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:05 am

Thanks for the replies. Sorry about the topic location.

The brake warning light which has come on is the pad low light I believe. A circle with dashes around it.

I have removed the lower half of the wheel arch liners and secured them in place to allow more air to get to the brakes. I will check this again though as I did initally have problems but thought I had solved them. Have to admit the noise sounds different. The knocking is the main worry at the moment.

Would the shock knock if it was knackered? I will try bouncing the car when I get home to try that but any other suggestions.