Zimmerman Drilled discs?
Moderator: martauto
-
Jamesb318is
- E30 Zone Regular

- Posts: 620
- Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: East Sussex
I know this has been covered many a time, but has anyone had any problems with zimmerman or ate powerdiscs, such as cracking of the drillings or warping leading to bake judder?
I want new pads+discs soon but i'm apprehensive bout goin non-gen, as ive seen them cause problems at work before, any ideas?
cheers
I want new pads+discs soon but i'm apprehensive bout goin non-gen, as ive seen them cause problems at work before, any ideas?
cheers
Last edited by Jamesb318is on Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.


-
BIGMRLEE
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 110
- Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: ROTHERHAM
big no no with ebc discs and pads, dont waste your money there noisey nd dont stop
Custom and Classics
.Design .Restoration
.Repair .Modification
& Custom Builds
07901602663
LeeHatfield25@btinternet.com
CAR`S, VAN`S, BIKE`S & 4X4`S
Body repairs, bodykits, painting, welding,
exhaust systems. M.O.T repairs
Servicing,
.Design .Restoration
.Repair .Modification
& Custom Builds
07901602663
LeeHatfield25@btinternet.com
CAR`S, VAN`S, BIKE`S & 4X4`S
Body repairs, bodykits, painting, welding,
exhaust systems. M.O.T repairs
Servicing,
-
Jamesb318is
- E30 Zone Regular

- Posts: 620
- Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: East Sussex
Not heard good things bout ebc - Hence.......
i was thinkin zimmerman discs (or ate) and pagid fast road pads?
i was thinkin zimmerman discs (or ate) and pagid fast road pads?


-
Geeman
- Married to the E30 Zone

- Posts: 7641
- Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Grimsby, Lincolnshire
I have EBC pads on my track car coupled with standard discs that I've had grooved, coupled with braided stainless hoses... I could put you through the front screen with them if you mis-behaved! 
-
astondg
- E30 Zone Regular

- Posts: 853
- Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Brisbane, Australia
Really? I have EBC slotted and dimpled rotors and EBC pads and they are only noisey when I stop hard, like on the race track. They also seem to stop ok and have never faded, even on the track. They seem to be wearing ok too, so far I have done a years worth of track days (probably 12 to 14), a year of Autocross (about 8 rounds), and a year of normal road driving (although, with me, that probably isn't as much road driving as most of you do) and they still seem ok. The only thing I have done is replace the fluid a couple of times.BIGMRLEE wrote:big no no with ebc discs and pads, dont waste your money there noisey nd dont stop
I'm not saying get EBC, just that so far they have been ok for me.
Aston
BMW E30 323i with some stuff
1:05.17 @ Queensland Raceway Sprint track
1:10.09 @ Queensland Raceway Clubman track
1:21.67 @ Morgan Park Raceway
1:05.17 @ Queensland Raceway Sprint track
1:10.09 @ Queensland Raceway Clubman track
1:21.67 @ Morgan Park Raceway
-
Jamesb318is
- E30 Zone Regular

- Posts: 620
- Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: East Sussex
Cheers guys that does help, but any one had any of the problems described with zimmerman discs (which unless i'm missing something, arent made by ebc?!)
Also, with pagid fast road pads, do they produce more dust?
Also, with pagid fast road pads, do they produce more dust?


-
johnono
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 4677
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: land of the vikings
i think the combo u want is good mate, pagid pads are popul. with good responses about them, and the zimms, i think would be just as reliable
-
BIGMRLEE
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 110
- Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: ROTHERHAM
is it just me with ebc pbroblems? tuned 325, braided hoses m3 calipers green stuff pads vented drilled and grooved dis all round. the dam thing dont stop! any ideas?
Custom and Classics
.Design .Restoration
.Repair .Modification
& Custom Builds
07901602663
LeeHatfield25@btinternet.com
CAR`S, VAN`S, BIKE`S & 4X4`S
Body repairs, bodykits, painting, welding,
exhaust systems. M.O.T repairs
Servicing,
.Design .Restoration
.Repair .Modification
& Custom Builds
07901602663
LeeHatfield25@btinternet.com
CAR`S, VAN`S, BIKE`S & 4X4`S
Body repairs, bodykits, painting, welding,
exhaust systems. M.O.T repairs
Servicing,
-
dj_raoul
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 45
- Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Delft NL
-
Simon
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 14939
- Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: South Wales
I've been using zimmerman x drilled discs with no problem for the last 3 years, coupled with the pagid fast road pads, for the price you can't go wrong (less than Ԛ£200 for all 4 discs and pads all round).
My dad has also been using them on his 16v MkII golf for the last 8 years (yes the same discs) with no problems at all.
My dad has also been using them on his 16v MkII golf for the last 8 years (yes the same discs) with no problems at all.

-
johnono
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 4677
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: land of the vikings
green stuff pds are shit so ive heard from here.. change them and see 
-
astondg
- E30 Zone Regular

- Posts: 853
- Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Brisbane, Australia
Green Stuff (that's EBC right?) are what I am using with no problems so far. Maybe if I changed to something else it would be a lot better? I am happy with the way it stops now though, especially considering that the standard size rotors and calipers aren't that big.
I have something very similar, BIGMRLEE. I have the EBC rotors, pads, and braided hoses (although only the front so far). I don't have the M3 calipers though, do they work ok with the standard size rotors (The M3's were bigger and I think thicker too)? How is your brake pedal? If they aren't working for you then maybe you should try something else.
Aston
I have something very similar, BIGMRLEE. I have the EBC rotors, pads, and braided hoses (although only the front so far). I don't have the M3 calipers though, do they work ok with the standard size rotors (The M3's were bigger and I think thicker too)? How is your brake pedal? If they aren't working for you then maybe you should try something else.
Aston
BMW E30 323i with some stuff
1:05.17 @ Queensland Raceway Sprint track
1:10.09 @ Queensland Raceway Clubman track
1:21.67 @ Morgan Park Raceway
1:05.17 @ Queensland Raceway Sprint track
1:10.09 @ Queensland Raceway Clubman track
1:21.67 @ Morgan Park Raceway
-
Geeman
- Married to the E30 Zone

- Posts: 7641
- Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Grimsby, Lincolnshire
It annoys me that there are people who are ready to say that EBC pads are shit, but they haven't had first hand knowledge of them at all!
My track car, which took some abuse round Cadwell (the most technical course in the UK), had fantastic brakes throughout a WHOLE day's racing without a sign of brake fade in the slightest. At the end of the day it could STILL stop on it's nose!
I had them in my XR2 track machine as well, and that was just with standard discs and OE rubber pipes. That was amazing!
Even my old man had them in his Cobra when he went on track days. The difference by just swapping the pads over for these days was unbeleivable! And these things are running on MGB running gear! (okay,with a rear disc conversion, an adjustable brake bias and coilovers)
I appreciate some people have had problems with them (maybe one or two) but the majority of EBC users have no qualms about recommending them at all... including me.
Rant over.
My track car, which took some abuse round Cadwell (the most technical course in the UK), had fantastic brakes throughout a WHOLE day's racing without a sign of brake fade in the slightest. At the end of the day it could STILL stop on it's nose!
I had them in my XR2 track machine as well, and that was just with standard discs and OE rubber pipes. That was amazing!
Even my old man had them in his Cobra when he went on track days. The difference by just swapping the pads over for these days was unbeleivable! And these things are running on MGB running gear! (okay,with a rear disc conversion, an adjustable brake bias and coilovers)
I appreciate some people have had problems with them (maybe one or two) but the majority of EBC users have no qualms about recommending them at all... including me.
Rant over.
-
johnono
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 4677
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: land of the vikings
dude
sorry on the ebc thing man!
i havnt used em and never felt if they work good or not..so i should just shut up really
but i just remember a ebc slating session and ...
oops (n.b, dont piss off gman)
i havnt used em and never felt if they work good or not..so i should just shut up really
oops (n.b, dont piss off gman)
-
Geeman
- Married to the E30 Zone

- Posts: 7641
- Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Grimsby, Lincolnshire
not pissed off... 
-
jitvv
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 124
- Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: North Herts
i've been using zimmerman x drilled discs and texstar pads seems to work well with no prob's, I think i remember E30Adam said the brakes felt good when he drove my car a while back..

-
Jamesb318is
- E30 Zone Regular

- Posts: 620
- Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: East Sussex
Nice one guys, zimmerman discs and pagid pads added to the shopping list!




