Happy 40th Birthday

General E30 related discussions -
Please put technical questions in E30 Tech Help forum below

Moderator: martauto

minesapint
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:00 pm
Location: Lancashire/Yorkshire border.

Post Mon Aug 17, 2026 11:05 pm

BMW 325i Cabriolet 1986.

On Thursday 20 Aug 2026, I have been the proud owner of my car for the last 40 years.
Having written to BMW Germany in early 1986, I was aware they were about to introduce a RHD version of the 325i Cabriolet later that year. They also said the announcement would be made at the car show on the opening of the GMEX exhibition centre Manchester, which was opened by our late Queen Elizabeth11 Easter 1986, and also they would be sending a LHD 325i cabriolet to the exhibition.
I placed an order in early March with my local dealer, who was totally unaware of all this, but was willing to take my money. So I had my order placed before BMW made the announcement.
My order was for a 325i Cab, zinnobar red with stone leather, the car BMW sent to the show was red but with black leather, it looked stunning so I immediately changed my order to black leather.
My car was made in July 86, it was the 38th off the line when production of RHD Cabs started that week.
I collected the car 20 Aug 86 from my local dealer, it had 35 miles on the clock, those miles were put on by me, as my arrangement with him was a good test drive as obviously there weren’t any to have a test in.
So I am the original and only owner of this car.
I have tried hard over the years to keep the car as original as possible, always been stored in good dry garages and well protected, to this end I think I’ve done a good job. It has never failed an MOT nor ever had an advisory, & it’s next MOT due 1 Oct 26 is hopefully it’s last, as I’ll apply for historic status next April. Hopefully I haven’t jinxed it’s MOT record with what I’ve just said!
I’ll try & post plenty of images of the car & paperwork, I know there’s been some problems with posting images lately, I’ll persevere even if it means spreading them over many posts.
I hope you’ve found this interesting.
IMG_0226.jpeg
IMG_0196.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
martauto
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 6214
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: leeds

Post Tue Aug 18, 2026 12:37 pm

Wow 8O 8O 8O 8O
Absolute credit to you mate
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mart.
Only the E46 cab left now.
Just got too old.
User avatar
RTTBMW
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:45 am
Location: Enniskillen

Post Tue Aug 18, 2026 5:21 pm

Amazing achievement. Not too many one owner cars about.

regards

Richard
E30 325i Mtech 2 1990 (Registered in 1991)
User avatar
BenHar
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 3089
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:00 pm
Location: Reigate, Surrey

Post Tue Aug 18, 2026 6:02 pm

£321.74 for plates? They saw you coming , mate!

Looking forward to more pictures and information.

Ben
Speedtouch
Old Skooler
Old Skooler
Posts: 14123
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: Canterbury

Post Tue Aug 18, 2026 8:54 pm

Lovely to be able to own such a nice car from new, and keep it that way - well done!
///M aurice
ECU Upgrade EPROM Chips, £40 posted within the UK. Note these are not Zone chips.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=279421
Speedtouch
Old Skooler
Old Skooler
Posts: 14123
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: Canterbury

Post Tue Aug 18, 2026 8:57 pm

BenHar wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 18, 2026 6:02 pm
£321.74 for plates? They saw you coming , mate!
Ben
Haha, I thought that too, but I think it's for delivery, floor mats, petrol and number plates...
///M aurice
ECU Upgrade EPROM Chips, £40 posted within the UK. Note these are not Zone chips.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=279421
minesapint
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:00 pm
Location: Lancashire/Yorkshire border.

Post Wed Aug 19, 2026 10:28 am

Continued

minesapint
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:00 pm
Location: Lancashire/Yorkshire border.

Post Fri Aug 21, 2026 9:19 pm

BenHar wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 18, 2026 6:02 pm
£321.74 for plates? They saw you coming , mate!

Looking forward to more pictures and information.

Ben
Yeah looking back that does seem a lot, but as Speedtouch says “( )”……. also they’ve been bloody good as those original ones are still on the car, yes those plates are the originals…….. check out the dialling code!
minesapint
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:00 pm
Location: Lancashire/Yorkshire border.

Post Mon Sep 21, 2026 9:05 pm

Well as there hasn’t been any response from my enquiry about how to post multiple images, I’ll have to do it the hard way………a few at a time.
IMG_4914.jpeg
IMG_4915.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
minesapint
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:00 pm
Location: Lancashire/Yorkshire border.

Post Mon Sep 21, 2026 11:01 pm

minesapint
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:00 pm
Location: Lancashire/Yorkshire border.

Post Mon Sep 28, 2026 10:30 pm

I’m dead chuffed as today my car passed its MOT without any problems, this means that next April I can apply for historical interest, meaning today is the last MOT I officially have had to take.
This for me is a milestone as the car has never failed or even had an advisory in all its MOT history. Another bonus is no road tax, so quite a saving there, although I do SORN it for approx 6 months of the year.
My insurance is due 17 Oct 26 & I’ve reapplied to increase my agreed valuation with Lancaster Insurance, sent all the information off & now awaiting their panels decision. I’ll let you know how that goes.

Meanwhile a few more pics. (hopefully)
IMG_4924.jpeg
IMG_4929.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
minesapint
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:00 pm
Location: Lancashire/Yorkshire border.

Post Tue Sep 29, 2026 10:57 pm

And a few more
IMG_4935.jpeg
IMG_4936.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
minesapint
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:00 pm
Location: Lancashire/Yorkshire border.

Post Wed Sep 30, 2026 12:27 pm

A few more
IMG_5090.jpeg
IMG_4939.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
minesapint
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:00 pm
Location: Lancashire/Yorkshire border.

Post Thu Oct 01, 2026 1:33 pm

A few more
IMG_4940.jpeg
IMG_4941.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
minesapint
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:00 pm
Location: Lancashire/Yorkshire border.

Post Fri Oct 02, 2026 1:17 pm

A few more
IMG_4942.jpeg
IMG_4943.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
minesapint
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:00 pm
Location: Lancashire/Yorkshire border.

Post Sat Oct 03, 2026 10:27 am

A few more
IMG_4946.jpeg
ba2db8a2-a95c-4869-8b8b-9c9b95a7ad92.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hennabm
Old Skooler
Old Skooler
Posts: 1395
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:00 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Post Sat Oct 03, 2026 1:34 pm

Absolutely stunning example.

As others have siad, there can't be many one owner cars from new left in the country.

With just 25k on the clock it looks like it has lead a quiet life for all of its 40 years.

Since mine turned 40 the other other year I have not taken it for MOT and tend to use it a bit more beacuse I don't have to worry about taxing it. If it's a fine day and I have a spare hour or so, I'll take it out for pleasure.

I wish you many more years with it.
'82 323i henna
'90 320iSE sterling silver No more!
'10 116d Sport Red - MkI
'12 1.4 Punto Easy Exotica Red
'11 X3 3.0d SE
'89 240 DL Estate
minesapint
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:00 pm
Location: Lancashire/Yorkshire border.

Post Mon Oct 05, 2026 3:30 pm

Thanks, very kind of you.
When I first bought the car, I had many holidays touring Europe in it. Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, France & northern Spain. I drove a lot in the Alps & Pyrenees where it was in its element, taking country roads, avoiding motorways where possible. I’d say 75% of the car’s mileage was done on these trips.
Then quite a long period layed-up, houses, family etc.
It’s always been a fun car & I’ve been lucky always having good dry garages for storage & workshop. I have another soft-top & a daily, so never been reliant on the E30, hence it’s been treated better than my dog!
The remaining mileage has been done mainly in the Yorkshire Dales which I’m passionate about. I live just outside Skipton on the edge of the Dales so they’re very accessible for me to go for a quick drive, walk & pint! 🍺
I hope to have many more years with it.
Cheers
IMG_1182.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rix313
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 4969
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:00 pm
Location: Silverstone

Post Tue Oct 06, 2026 12:25 pm

Sublime car dude 8)
minesapint
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:00 pm
Location: Lancashire/Yorkshire border.

Post Wed Oct 07, 2026 7:25 pm

I’ve lots of paperwork from around 86 when I was looking into & buying my 325i Cab, brochures, price lists, reports, etc. I came across this recently.
IMG_0230.jpeg
The handwritten prices were put on by the salesman at BMW, this is from early 86 & they are correct.
But look at the spec for the 325i sport, it’s packed with stuff, BBS’s, all the M tech stuff, limited slip diff, etc etc, & it’s £2400 cheaper than the Cab!! what would a mint 86 325i Sport be worth now I wonder?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
minesapint
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:00 pm
Location: Lancashire/Yorkshire border.

Post Wed Oct 07, 2026 7:44 pm

Of course I really messed up & should have waited until 87 when the M3 came into the UK @ £22750.
If I had waited & bought one, that car would be in equally good condition & low mileage as my Cab, & just having a quick look, would be worth around £100,000 today.
I definitely messed up!
minesapint
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:00 pm
Location: Lancashire/Yorkshire border.

Post Wed Oct 07, 2026 7:45 pm

Of course I really messed up & should have waited until 87 when the M3 came into the UK @ £22750.
If I had waited & bought one, that car would be in equally good condition & low mileage as my Cab, & just having a quick look, would be worth around £100,000 today.
I definitely messed up!
minesapint
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:00 pm
Location: Lancashire/Yorkshire border.

Post Wed Oct 07, 2026 7:46 pm

Just like I messed up that!
hennabm
Old Skooler
Old Skooler
Posts: 1395
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:00 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Post Thu Oct 08, 2026 11:34 am

That's great to see the old prices of optional extras. I love the fact that for just over £1,000 the choice was ABS or air conditioning.
'82 323i henna
'90 320iSE sterling silver No more!
'10 116d Sport Red - MkI
'12 1.4 Punto Easy Exotica Red
'11 X3 3.0d SE
'89 240 DL Estate
minesapint
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:00 pm
Location: Lancashire/Yorkshire border.

Post Thu Oct 08, 2026 3:39 pm

This is some of the paperwork I have from around the time I ordered.
If anyone needs any info that’s in here I’m happy to show it.
Cheers
IMG_0234.jpeg
IMG_0250.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.