Which diff?

Moderator: martauto

kdevitt
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: Dublin

Post Sun Sep 27, 2026 10:52 pm

Working through an M60 swap into a narrow body Z3 - need to start figuring out the diff to use (running a 420g as well)

The 188 is the easiest option in terms of fitment (would need to use E30 325i half shafts) but is a 188 up to the task?

210 from an E24 / E28 was also suggested- but it’s a bit more custom and potential headache in future if needing to replace bits.

Bearing in mind I’m getting old and won’t be driving like a hooligan - is the 188 the sensible option or one I’ll regret??
User avatar
flybynite
E30 Zone Squatter
E30 Zone Squatter
Posts: 1704
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:00 pm

Post Mon Sep 28, 2026 7:56 pm

kdevitt wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 27, 2026 10:52 pm
Working through an M60 swap into a narrow body Z3 - need to start figuring out the diff to use (running a 420g as well)
The 188 is the easiest option in terms of fitment (would need to use E30 325i half shafts) but is a 188 up to the task?
210 from an E24 / E28 was also suggested- but it’s a bit more custom and potential headache in future if needing to replace bits.
Bearing in mind I’m getting old and won’t be driving like a hooligan - is the 188 the sensible option or one I’ll regret??
B30 or B40? They used a 188 on the Z3M with the S50B32. The problem wasn't the diff but more so the boot floor pulling apart.

My gut feeling would be a 188 with some sort of twin-ear back plate conversion and floor strengthening which is what I may do on my M54
kdevitt
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: Dublin

Post Mon Sep 28, 2026 10:27 pm

M60B40 - doing the twin ear conversion and boot floor strengthening too. Reading conflicting opinions on whether the 188 is up to the extra torque. Figured it’s what the majority are using - a 210 swap would be a bit of a pain from the sound of it.
User avatar
flybynite
E30 Zone Squatter
E30 Zone Squatter
Posts: 1704
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:00 pm

Post Wed Sep 30, 2026 8:18 am

kdevitt wrote: ↑
Mon Sep 28, 2026 10:27 pm
M60B40 - doing the twin ear conversion and boot floor strengthening too. Reading conflicting opinions on whether the 188 is up to the extra torque. Figured it’s what the majority are using - a 210 swap would be a bit of a pain from the sound of it.
I think a lot of these things boil down to how you drive it, there is more torque in the b40 than the S50/S54 but not by a huge amount. Although my E36 M3 had a 210 I dont recall the Z3M or the clown shoe having diff problems.

Are you planning an LSD? Although I like the Torsen I would steer away from it for the B40 as they are not as strong as a good 4 plate.
kdevitt
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: Dublin

Post Wed Sep 30, 2026 9:25 am

E36 Evo had the 210 alright - 3.0 had the 188. Planning on a non-torsen LSD- veering towards something like a 3.15 or 3.23, don't intend driving it like a nutjob. Whole floor pan is coming out to accomodate the routing for the exhaust anyway - so will get the strengthening and duel mount done at that stage. It makes it the right time to fit a 210 - but prefer the idea of having off the shelf parts available in future, which I'd get with the 188
User avatar
flybynite
E30 Zone Squatter
E30 Zone Squatter
Posts: 1704
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:00 pm

Post Wed Sep 30, 2026 9:49 am

kdevitt wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 30, 2026 9:25 am
E36 Evo had the 210 alright - 3.0 had the 188. Planning on a non-torsen LSD- veering towards something like a 3.15 or 3.23, don't intend driving it like a nutjob. Whole floor pan is coming out to accomodate the routing for the exhaust anyway - so will get the strengthening and duel mount done at that stage. It makes it the right time to fit a 210 - but prefer the idea of having off the shelf parts available in future, which I'd get with the 188
I have to admit that while I think the 188 will be fine, if you are doing that much work to the floorpan I would be tempted to put the extra effort in to work in an e36 M3evo diff carrier mount floorpan section. Keep it as close to OEM M3evo?
kdevitt
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: Dublin

Post Wed Sep 30, 2026 9:53 am

Needs an E24 or E28 diff - the E36 stuff doesn't fit up, it mounts differently, and then needs custom half shafts - or Z3M ones to be modified. Just makes it an expensive and time consuming job if it throws a shaft. If I use the 188 diff is all bolts up basically and an E30 325i shaft just pops in.