Hello all, after some advice regarding the hard lines under the car.
I understand one is feed and one is return, but there is a third.
This just connects to a rubber hose tucked into the inner wing in the engine bay.
I was wondering if this third line can be removed or cut off nearer where it comes from as mine is rusted and has a hole in it so would ideally like to remove it rather than replacing (seeing as it doesn't seem to be doing much anyway)
Thank you.
Fuel lines
Moderator: martauto
-
capri_rob
- Married to the E30 Zone

- Posts: 9678
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:00 pm
- Location: South Staffordshire
The third is a tank vent.
You can revert to the pre facelift setup which did not have this pipe.
Check realoem.com using a pre facelift car for the info and it should show the setup
You can revert to the pre facelift setup which did not have this pipe.
Check realoem.com using a pre facelift car for the info and it should show the setup

e30topless said : Proper BMW's have 4 headlights, last of the run was the E30 and E34/E32 anything after that is just complete shite
-
DanThe
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 28649
- Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Staffs
Its just the tank vent line, you can replace it with a short line that ends near the left side of the tank, it has to be lower than the tank though
-
redcar
- E30 Zone Squatter

- Posts: 1610
- Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:00 pm
- Location: Hertfordshire
Ok thank you,
So I can just vent it to the atmosphere, underneath the car?
Basically just chop the pipe somewhere near the left side of the tank then right?
So I can just vent it to the atmosphere, underneath the car?
Basically just chop the pipe somewhere near the left side of the tank then right?
-
DanThe
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 28649
- Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Staffs
You can see the early vent pipe on mine here http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... e&start=75
-
redcar
- E30 Zone Squatter

- Posts: 1610
- Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:00 pm
- Location: Hertfordshire
Ah cool
That's strange, on mine I don't have a rubber hose, that line in ur pic is just solid from its journey above the tank, underneath the car and then into the engine bay.
I shall just chop it and pop a rubber hose on it like yours is
Am I correct in thinking that the rubber hose just dangles around the left side of the tank then?
Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure it's all correct and safe. Thank you.
That's strange, on mine I don't have a rubber hose, that line in ur pic is just solid from its journey above the tank, underneath the car and then into the engine bay.
I shall just chop it and pop a rubber hose on it like yours is
Am I correct in thinking that the rubber hose just dangles around the left side of the tank then?
Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure it's all correct and safe. Thank you.
-
Topblag
- Old Skooler

- Posts: 7095
- Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:00 pm
- Location: Fife - You got a problem with that ?
Never understood the logic of having the vent pipe exit near the engine where hot things can be found.
When I bought fuel lines about 3 years ago the vent pipe was more than the other two put together. So I left it.
When I bought fuel lines about 3 years ago the vent pipe was more than the other two put together. So I left it.
1990 325i Cab auto in Alpine White II
1988 Alpina C2.5 moredoor in Black, 71k
1990 325ix, moredoor auto in Laser Blue. 51k
1984 Hartge H35 in Black
2004 996 C4S in Silver 43k manual
2006 Audi S6 V10 in Black 58k
1988 Alpina C2.5 moredoor in Black, 71k
1990 325ix, moredoor auto in Laser Blue. 51k
1984 Hartge H35 in Black
2004 996 C4S in Silver 43k manual
2006 Audi S6 V10 in Black 58k
-
andysheep
- E30 Zone Regular

- Posts: 444
- Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:00 pm
- Location: Abersoch north wales
Me neither, fuel vapours in the engine bay,by choice
but i ran a line and finished it in the strut leg like told,must be some method to the maddness 
-
redcar
- E30 Zone Squatter

- Posts: 1610
- Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:00 pm
- Location: Hertfordshire


