Dash Lights not working. Cant see my dials in the dark!
Moderator: martauto
-
dan_lboro
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 50
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 11:00 pm
I bought an e30 cabriolet about 6 weeks ago and i'm still fixing bits on it. At the weekend it was the first time I had driven it in the dark and the dashboard dials were not illuminated so I cant see how fast Im going! I tried rotating the head light nob clockwise and the dash lights still dont work. Does anyone have any ideas please? Thanks
-
manse73
- E30 Zone Camper

- Posts: 1109
- Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:00 pm
- Location: in a town near you
head torch 
Sebring grey motorsport convertible
-
andysheep
- E30 Zone Regular

- Posts: 444
- Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:00 pm
- Location: Abersoch north wales
Remove the bincale and check bulbs,or you may need a new/second hand head light switch,but first may be fuze check,ya never know
sure brian will be along soon,unless hes still enjoying the old vino still on holiday,andy,by the way i had thisproblem,dont worry you'll be ok 
-
BenHar
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 3089
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:00 pm
- Location: Reigate, Surrey
Make sure the light switch is turned full clockwise.
Ben
I should have read the original post properly. Thanks JMC.
Ben
I should have read the original post properly. Thanks JMC.
Last edited by BenHar on Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
jmc330i
- Engaged to the E30 Zone

- Posts: 6621
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Somerset
BenHar wrote:Make sure the light switch is turned full clockwise.
Ben
dan_lboro wrote: I tried rotating the head light nob clockwise.
James
'91 325i Sport
'93 318i touring 16v
'91 325i Sport
'93 318i touring 16v
-
dan_lboro
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 50
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 11:00 pm
Cheers, I will have a go and let you know how it goes.
-
Rav335uk
- E30 Zone Meets/Events Team

- Posts: 27978
- Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Mad mad mad
Have you checked fuse 10? 7.5amp

If you Got "Haters",Then your doing something Right!
CR24v??? Where's it all gone?? LOL
-
dan_lboro
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 50
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 11:00 pm
Not yet. Will do. Thanks. I understand that there are 2 dash bulbs, so assuming they are both wired in series then it sounds like it could be a fuse.
-
BenHar
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 3089
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:00 pm
- Location: Reigate, Surrey
-
dan_lboro
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 50
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 11:00 pm
Cheers Ben, that thread is really good
-
dan_lboro
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 50
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 11:00 pm
-
dan_lboro
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 50
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 11:00 pm
When its stopped raining I plan on following this thread (http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/inde ... eplacement) and putting the lights back in. I love a happy ending

-
BenHar
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 3089
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:00 pm
- Location: Reigate, Surrey
Those are the bulbs to illuminate the headlight leveling knob.
They are on a separate circuit from the dash lights.
Follow the intsructions in the link I posted to check what's wrong.
Ben
They are on a separate circuit from the dash lights.
Follow the intsructions in the link I posted to check what's wrong.
Ben
-
andysheep
- E30 Zone Regular

- Posts: 444
- Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:00 pm
- Location: Abersoch north wales
Keep going youll sort it
these are all the things i went through,you will get there,andy
-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
They're not , you know! They're on exactly the same circuit as the instrument cluster illumination bulbs, so you can eliminate any problems with switches, fuses and dimmers. It's the foglight/main light switch illumination bulb that's separate.BenHar wrote: They are on a separate circuit from the dash lights.
The fact that one of the leveller bulbs is blown shows that the bulbs are reaching their design life, so I suggest you buy two 3W (NOT the more common 5W version) capless bulbs, and change them anyway.
-
dan_lboro
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 50
- Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 11:00 pm
Thank you very much for the help. I finish early on fridays, so planning on getting some new bulbs and stripping the dash back so I can see whats going on. Will keep you posted on how it goes. 
-
BenHar
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 3089
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:00 pm
- Location: Reigate, Surrey
Why don't they dim with the dashlights then?Brianmoooore wrote:They're not , you know! They're on exactly the same circuit as the instrument cluster illumination bulbs, them anyway.BenHar wrote: They are on a separate circuit from the dash lights.
Ben
-
SkyKnight
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 7
- Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:00 pm
- Location: Cape Town, South Africa
More than likely the switch, I had that issue on mine a year or two ago, I don't remember the details, but bridged two connections in the plug that goes into the switch and I had my dash lights back again, worked ever since, but you do lose the dimmer facility, i am not worried about it,i have never in all the years of driving my beemer, had to dim the dash lights.
E30's are not built, they are born in the wild.
-
BenHar
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 3089
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:00 pm
- Location: Reigate, Surrey
I would like to know the answer to this. Seems odd to me.BenHar wrote:Why don't they dim with the dashlights then?Brianmoooore wrote:They're not , you know! They're on exactly the same circuit as the instrument cluster illumination bulbs, them anyway.BenHar wrote: They are on a separate circuit from the dash lights.
Ben
Ben
-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Partial apology offered! I would have sworn that these bulbs dim with the other dash lights on an E30, but I checked on a loom today, and the earth return from the bulbs does indeed go to a plain brown earth wire, and not the brown/white dimmer wire, so I will have to amend my circuit diagram.BenHar wrote:Why don't they dim with the dashlights then?Brianmoooore wrote:They're not , you know! They're on exactly the same circuit as the instrument cluster illumination bulbs, them anyway.BenHar wrote: They are on a separate circuit from the dash lights.
Ben
The supply to the bulbs is on exactly the same circuit as the cluster illumination bulbs, so fuse and switch are all OK, but the circuit isn't completed through the dimmer, as it is for the cluster bulbs, so pulling out the rear ashtray bulb holder and shorting the brown/white wire to it to a good body earth with the lights on, and seeing if the cluster light up is the way to go.
-
Oseanosea
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 63
- Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:32 am
- Location: Jupiter, Florida USA
I know this post is almost 3 years old, but I’m commending Brianmoooore anyway. In attempting to troubleshoot my dashboard light issues, amongst other things, I have noticed that Mr. Moooore is very knowledgeable and quick to offer his expertise to those that could benefit. He’s also quick to admit his errors when he or others find them. He even does research to correct himself... a rare individual indeed. Cudos and a long healthy life to you Brian! (I’ll wipe my nose off now & get back to work.)Brianmoooore wrote: ↑Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:53 pmPartial apology offered! I would have sworn that these bulbs dim with the other dash lights on an E30, but I checked on a loom today, and the earth return from the bulbs does indeed go to a plain brown earth wire, and not the brown/white dimmer wire, so I will have to amend my circuit diagram.BenHar wrote:Why don't they dim with the dashlights then?Brianmoooore wrote:
They're not , you know! They're on exactly the same circuit as the instrument cluster illumination bulbs, them anyway.
Ben
The supply to the bulbs is on exactly the same circuit as the cluster illumination bulbs, so fuse and switch are all OK, but the circuit isn't completed through the dimmer, as it is for the cluster bulbs, so pulling out the rear ashtray bulb holder and shorting the brown/white wire to it to a good body earth with the lights on, and seeing if the cluster light up is the way to go.
“Keep lowering your standards until goals are met.”
-
Oseanosea
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 63
- Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:32 am
- Location: Jupiter, Florida USA
I have found several web links that look interesting but connect to Error 404 Not Found. I know this site has recently undergone major updates and upgrades. I’m hoping that these tech articles still exist somewhere. Do they? Thanks all, SeanBenHar wrote: ↑Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:20 pmThis may help: http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... c&t=268529
Ben
“Keep lowering your standards until goals are met.”
-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
You're correct that the broken links are as a result of the upgrade, and I don't think there's a simple solution to general forum links, but this works for old wiki links: "You just need to take out the zone part of the /e30zonewiki/ to get a link working again."
-
Oseanosea
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 63
- Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:32 am
- Location: Jupiter, Florida USA
Thanks! I’ll try that!Brianmoooore wrote: ↑Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:05 pm
You're correct that the broken links are as a result of the upgrade, and I don't think there's a simple solution to general forum links, but this works for old wiki links: "You just need to take out the zone part of the /e30zonewiki/ to get a link working again."
A few minutes ago, I fell across this page, although I can’t remember where, but I did bookmark it:
https://www.e30zone.net/e30wiki/index.p ... =Main_Page
I plan to read it all by tomorrow and have it memorized sometime on Monday.
“Keep lowering your standards until goals are met.”
-
Oseanosea
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 63
- Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:32 am
- Location: Jupiter, Florida USA
I can confirm that removing “zone” from “e30zonewiki” definitely works and I thank you again.Brianmoooore wrote: ↑Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:05 pm
You're correct that the broken links are as a result of the upgrade, and I don't think there's a simple solution to general forum links, but this works for old wiki links: "You just need to take out the zone part of the /e30zonewiki/ to get a link working again."
I hope you don’t mind if I create a separate post for others encountering the same challenge.
To clarify:
Broken link. http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/inde ... eplacement
vs
“Fixed” link. http://www.e30zone.net/e30wiki/index.ph ... eplacement
“Keep lowering your standards until goals are met.”
-
Oseanosea
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 63
- Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:32 am
- Location: Jupiter, Florida USA
May I please confirm the part number for the bulb below?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Keep lowering your standards until goals are met.”
-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
504 is the 3W lamp for the instrument cluster general illumination. The lamp in your pic. is a 286.
These numbers are the general type number, just like H1 is an E30 headlamp bulb, and a H3 is for a foglamp.
These numbers are the general type number, just like H1 is an E30 headlamp bulb, and a H3 is for a foglamp.
-
Oseanosea
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 63
- Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:32 am
- Location: Jupiter, Florida USA
Thanks!“Keep lowering your standards until goals are met.”
-
Oseanosea
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 63
- Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:32 am
- Location: Jupiter, Florida USA
I fixed my dash lights while I had the instrument cluster apart. I can see the speedometer at night! I’ve replaced all of my instrument cluster lights now. Hopefully that’ll be good for a long time!
Thanks for your help!
Thanks for your help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Keep lowering your standards until goals are met.”
-
martauto
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 6212
- Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: leeds
They seem very bright, do you have the correct wattage bulbs ?
It is important as they can cause serious damage .
Mart.
It is important as they can cause serious damage .
Mart.
Only the E46 cab left now.
Just got too old.
Just got too old.


