Hi
I've been having running issues with my m20b20 prefacelift convertible and have been advised to check the fuel pressure.
Can anyone tell me where and how to connect this in a way I can see it whilst I'm driving. Also what should the fuel pressure generally be around 2-2.5 bar?
Thanks
Installing fuel pressure gauge help needed
Moderator: martauto
-
matt86
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 2468
- Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:00 pm
- Location: "The Cotswolds" Stroud, Gloucestershire
-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
If you're using something like this,: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Injectio ... SwMmBVw0oz you need to disconnect the fuel hose that goes straight to the injector rail, connect the tee piece to the end of hose, and reconnect the other branch of the tee to the rail, using the short hose and hose clips in the kit. Connect the gauge to the tee, using one of the other pipes in the kit as an extension, if they fit, then tape the gauge to a windscreen wiper, and drive the car with the bonnet open at the back.
Pressure should be exactly what's marked on the FPR at wide open throttle, and half a bar or so lower at idle.
Pressure should be exactly what's marked on the FPR at wide open throttle, and half a bar or so lower at idle.
-
matt86
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 2468
- Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:00 pm
- Location: "The Cotswolds" Stroud, Gloucestershire
Thanks Brian. I really need to get to the bottom of this as I've changed nearly everything and ive been working on it for months nowBrianmoooore wrote:If you're using something like this,: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Injectio ... SwMmBVw0oz you need to disconnect the fuel hose that goes straight to the injector rail, connect the tee piece to the end of hose, and reconnect the other branch of the tee to the rail, using the short hose and hose clips in the kit. Connect the gauge to the tee, using one of the other pipes in the kit as an extension, if they fit, then tape the gauge to a windscreen wiper, and drive the car with the bonnet open at the back.
Pressure should be exactly what's marked on the FPR at wide open throttle, and half a bar or so lower at idle.
-
aimlessrock
- E30 Zone Squatter

- Posts: 1821
- Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:00 pm
- Location: Manchester
Matt, i have a couple of used fuel rails with pressure regulators in my stash, both from working cars that i fraged some time ago.. for postage and a small donation to the zone your welcome to borrow one and see if that helps.
if your pulling the fuel rail get them injectors over hauled and then at least you can rule them out.
if your pulling the fuel rail get them injectors over hauled and then at least you can rule them out.
E30 320i Convertible (1989)
190 Mercedes (1988)
"there is nothing more expensive than a cheap E30"
190 Mercedes (1988)
"there is nothing more expensive than a cheap E30"
-
matt86
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 2468
- Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:00 pm
- Location: "The Cotswolds" Stroud, Gloucestershire
Thanks gary,aimlessrock wrote:Matt, i have a couple of used fuel rails with pressure regulators in my stash, both from working cars that i fraged some time ago.. for postage and a small donation to the zone your welcome to borrow one and see if that helps.
if your pulling the fuel rail get them injectors over hauled and then at least you can rule them out.
I'm going too run a fuel pressure check on the fuel rail\engine first to see if I am getting the recommended 2-2.5 bar pressure. So I'll see how I get on with this but grateful for your offer.
I've already fitted new fuel pump, pressure regulator, afm, carried out full service including plugs rotor arm distributor etc.
I'm hoping it's a bad electrical connection to the pump or something simple as there isn't much else left to try apart from the injectors. Otherwise I could. Have a blockage in one of the fuel lines.
I have debated using this as an excuse to put a 2.5 engine in. Although this won't help if bits a tank, fuel pump, fuel line issue.
-
BenHar
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 3089
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:00 pm
- Location: Reigate, Surrey
What's the issue?
Ben
Ben
-
matt86
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 2468
- Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:00 pm
- Location: "The Cotswolds" Stroud, Gloucestershire
Hi Ben,BenHar wrote:What's the issue?
Ben
Revs dropping off and hesitating when more than 50% acceleration applied or when climbing hills.
The fault seems intermittent and worse at random times. But it never has full power.
-
BenHar
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 3089
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:00 pm
- Location: Reigate, Surrey
TPS?
Ben
Ben
-
matt86
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 2468
- Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:00 pm
- Location: "The Cotswolds" Stroud, Gloucestershire
I did consider this and must admit I haven't checked this yet, also wondered if the gasket could be leaking round the throttle body. Apart from a bad connection on the pump, blocked fuel line and bad injectors this is the only other part that hasn't been changed.BenHar wrote:TPS?
Ben
I will see what the fuel pressure check reveals on Saturday
Cheers Ben
Matt
