E36 compact rear track increase
Moderator: martauto
-
m_jermyn
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 4208
- Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:00 pm
- Location: Sydney Australia Mate
Anyone know how much the compact trailing arms increase the track per side when under a e30?
-
andysheep
- E30 Zone Regular

- Posts: 444
- Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:00 pm
- Location: Abersoch north wales
1/4 inch check wiki on here,iv got this mod 
-
m_jermyn
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 4208
- Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:00 pm
- Location: Sydney Australia Mate
Thats exactly what I always thought.. Someone is telling me different.. Read the wiki but couldn't find it gggrrrrr
-
m_jermyn
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 4208
- Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:00 pm
- Location: Sydney Australia Mate
Thats exactly what I always thought.. Someone is telling me different.. Read the wiki but couldn't find it gggrrrrr
-
andysheep
- E30 Zone Regular

- Posts: 444
- Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:00 pm
- Location: Abersoch north wales
Wiki ,under 5 lug convertion,all proper info on different types off rear ends e36 compact to z3 
-
m_jermyn
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 4208
- Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:00 pm
- Location: Sydney Australia Mate
Found it....
BUT... It says it wider by 18mm...... Not 5mm
BUT... It says it wider by 18mm...... Not 5mm
-
HairyScreech
- Engaged to the E30 Zone

- Posts: 6265
- Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:00 pm
Interesting, They are wider but E36/46 offset is different on wheels moving them in IIRC.
Z3 hubs in E30 arms push them out ~25mm, its what I have on mine. (at the hubs before wheel offset)
I am pretty sure the information on there is incorrect from measurements I have taken and experience with doing it.
I know I have broken it all down in the past, might be worth looking for my old 5 stud posts.
I will take a look later as well.
Z3 hubs in E30 arms push them out ~25mm, its what I have on mine. (at the hubs before wheel offset)
I am pretty sure the information on there is incorrect from measurements I have taken and experience with doing it.
I know I have broken it all down in the past, might be worth looking for my old 5 stud posts.
I will take a look later as well.
Last edited by HairyScreech on Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2.8 development thread http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... c&t=170822
m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
-
senna
- E30 Zone Regular

- Posts: 612
- Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:00 pm
Are you sure you are not using 2.8 z3 arms which are wider
-
HairyScreech
- Engaged to the E30 Zone

- Posts: 6265
- Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:00 pm
They came off a face lift 1.9M44 engine car. Took them off myself after checking the disc hat height.
They are indeed the same hubs as the 2.8 but the info floating around on the back end of the Z3s is utter bollocks.
All early 6 cylinder cars and all face lift cars have the deep hubs AND the trailing arm is wider.
The 2.8 hub in an e30 arm (taken off a friends scrap touring) and I had to roll the arches to get the 215/40s to clear with a E36 328i BBS RC. 17x8.5 ET41.
You only need to compare a Z3 disc to a compact disc to see the difference in the hubs.
Z3 discs - note the outer narrower diameter section is twice the width of the hand brake pad section of the hat.

Compact

I worked it out to be something like 27mm further out than an E30 hub and with an ET change to a ET41 wheel that's the same as +6mm per side.
I will check back again, bear in mind the E30, Z3 and Compact can interchange brake calipers, the discs friction surface sits in the same place provided you pair the right disc with the right hub.
Now I have an early 2.8 Z3 on the drive as well you can really see that extra 20mm in the trailing arm with them back to back.
They are indeed the same hubs as the 2.8 but the info floating around on the back end of the Z3s is utter bollocks.
All early 6 cylinder cars and all face lift cars have the deep hubs AND the trailing arm is wider.
The 2.8 hub in an e30 arm (taken off a friends scrap touring) and I had to roll the arches to get the 215/40s to clear with a E36 328i BBS RC. 17x8.5 ET41.
You only need to compare a Z3 disc to a compact disc to see the difference in the hubs.
Z3 discs - note the outer narrower diameter section is twice the width of the hand brake pad section of the hat.
Compact

I worked it out to be something like 27mm further out than an E30 hub and with an ET change to a ET41 wheel that's the same as +6mm per side.
I will check back again, bear in mind the E30, Z3 and Compact can interchange brake calipers, the discs friction surface sits in the same place provided you pair the right disc with the right hub.
Now I have an early 2.8 Z3 on the drive as well you can really see that extra 20mm in the trailing arm with them back to back.
Last edited by HairyScreech on Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
2.8 development thread http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... c&t=170822
m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
-
HairyScreech
- Engaged to the E30 Zone

- Posts: 6265
- Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:00 pm
Ok - E30 hat height = 53mm
Compact hat height = 71mm
Z3 hat height = 76mm Disc seems to be thicker on the face as well by ~2mm
And it brings me back to the thinking I had that actually all Z3 hubs are the same and the difference between narrow and wide is in the arm as brembo only make one disc, all with a 76mm hat.
Z3M is 54mm
Compact hubs with E30 arms should be a near perfect Et41, never investigated this 2 bearing sizes bollocks to see if its possible, I'm told the Z3 had 2 bearing sizes as well but i think this is wrong.
Anyone ever seen an e30 or e36 compact with a 39mm ID bearing?
I thought that was only used on drum braked cars but the ETK claims smaller engine Z3 as well, which all had discs.
Another thing that's wrong is that the Z3 callipers differ early/late/4vs6, they are all 36mm pistons and the largest direct fit calipers for E30 arms.
Compact hat height = 71mm
Z3 hat height = 76mm Disc seems to be thicker on the face as well by ~2mm
And it brings me back to the thinking I had that actually all Z3 hubs are the same and the difference between narrow and wide is in the arm as brembo only make one disc, all with a 76mm hat.
Z3M is 54mm
Compact hubs with E30 arms should be a near perfect Et41, never investigated this 2 bearing sizes bollocks to see if its possible, I'm told the Z3 had 2 bearing sizes as well but i think this is wrong.
Anyone ever seen an e30 or e36 compact with a 39mm ID bearing?
I thought that was only used on drum braked cars but the ETK claims smaller engine Z3 as well, which all had discs.
Another thing that's wrong is that the Z3 callipers differ early/late/4vs6, they are all 36mm pistons and the largest direct fit calipers for E30 arms.
2.8 development thread http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... c&t=170822
m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
