M50b25 coolant leak

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

User avatar
Benjer182
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:00 pm

Post Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:50 pm

Hello all, I've got a coolant leak on my e30 with the m50b25 engine in, I fitted a new radiator last week but yesterday I noticed it had started to leak coolant, now I can't really see where it's coming from which is where I hope you guys can help, it's getting on to the belt at the front of the engine and getting flicked everywhere, I've checked the top hose connection onto the front of the engine and it isn't there. Is there a common fault on these ? It appears to be dripping onto the belt but I can't tell where would it be around what appears to be the water pump on the front ?

Hope this makes sense, thanks in advance
User avatar
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 49360
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:03 pm

If your water inlet/outlet elbow/thermostat housing is made of black plastic, check it for cracks.
Check the water pump shaft for sideways movement.
User avatar
Benjer182
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:00 pm

Post Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:32 pm

If the thermostat housing is the part that the top and bottom rad hose go onto that's metal and I can't feel any movement in the water pump but it's hard to tell really as I imagine the belt holds it quite still
DanThe
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 28649
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Staffs

Post Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:04 pm

Release the tension on the belt then, its usually one of the two that Brian mentioned
User avatar
Benjer182
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:00 pm

Post Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:38 pm

Yeah I was going to whip the belt off in the morning and report back
User avatar
Benjer182
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:00 pm

Post Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:42 pm

Ok so it's the water pump that's died, thanks for your help guys. Does anyone have a part number ?