Post
Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:36 pm
Three of the wires that pass through the plug and socket under the seat end up at the plug in the pic., so you should be shorting together the brown/green and brown in this three pin plug to confirm that you get the same result as you did at the seat plug. This indicates whether there is a fault in this last section of loom under the car.
Assuming the gauge still goes to full, the sender in the tank is faulty. I see that yours in an early car, using an external fuel pump (in front of the LH rear wheel), rather than in the tank like most E30s, which may make it harder to find a replacement, if this one can't be fixed.
Remove the fuel pipes and twist the assembly anticlockwise, and it will lift out. There is an O ring seal which is usually reusable.
As far as repairing the sender goes, I can't help you, as I can't remember the last time I even saw one of these.