speedo issue

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

sadham
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 227
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:00 pm
Location: Birmingham, UK

Post Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:09 pm

Hi, I have read the wiki... just thought I'd ask if anyone may be able to provide their experiences with this.

My speedo went from working fine, to being very erratic to only working when going over bumps. I have just re soldered the connectos on the speedo and now:

Doesn't work if I pick up speed slowly.
Works when I give it a lot of gas but as soon as I let go of the accelerator it drops straight back to zero. Then goes up quick to whatever speed I'm doing when I accelerate hard again.

If you could maybe let me know what may be causing this before I have a look at the rear diff speed sensor tomorrow.
Thank you.
User avatar
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 49360
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:30 pm

Wire to the rear sensor - by far the most common fault.
Don't repair - replace.
User avatar
fixedwheelnut
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 909
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: South East London

Post Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:40 pm

Brianmoooore wrote:Wire to the rear sensor - by far the most common fault.
Don't repair - replace.
What Brian said, look up where the loom clips to the bodywork above the diff
sadham
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 227
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:00 pm
Location: Birmingham, UK

Post Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:06 pm

Thank you!
Yeti
Old Skooler
Old Skooler
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:00 pm

Post Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:39 pm

the gears at the back of the speedo sometimes strip .google it as ive seen its a common issue
User avatar
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 49360
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:42 pm

yeti wrote:the gears at the back of the speedo sometimes strip .google it as ive seen its a common issue
That affects the odometer, not the speedo., and seems to be a hot climate thing. I've never seen it in a UK car.
Yeti
Old Skooler
Old Skooler
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:00 pm

Post Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:49 pm

oh ok fair enough lol i saw it somewhere thought it would help
sadham
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 227
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:00 pm
Location: Birmingham, UK

Post Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:19 pm

User avatar
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 49360
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:02 pm

The usual and cheapest solution is to use one of the headlamp plugs (identical to the diff. plug), complete with a length of attached wire, from a scrap E30 loom.