Hey guys we have a 1988 318 with drum brakes now when we got it the pedal would travel about 3 cm before it would do anything. So just spent a few hours bleeding them the rear drivers side had loads of air in it and we put about half litre of dot 4 fluid through it and it got better the rear passenger side was better but still had air in so got rid of that. Now the front drivers was weird it wouldn't bleed at all until we started the engine then it was ok. Then on to the last on the passengers side front was fine bleed nice and was all good and gave a good pedal.
We packed away and took it for a spin and the pedal goes right to the floor with hardly any brakes. What have I screwed up? Do I need to just keep bleeding? Or is the servo dead?
Sorry it goes on for ever but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything
Cheers
Help are brakes are fooked
Moderator: martauto
-
BenHar
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 3089
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:00 pm
- Location: Reigate, Surrey
It's possible that the bleeding has finished off a warn master cylinder.
Ben
Ben
-
daveodonnell
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 16
- Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:00 pm
How would I test that or would I test it? Are they hard to change?
-
BHadley
- E30 Zone Regular

- Posts: 902
- Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:00 pm
- Location: Newton abbot, Devon
Master is easy enough to change.
Empty Rez and pull upwards to remove then use a 11mm brake pipe spanner (flared ends differ to normal spanner)for the brake line unions, undo 2x 13mm nuts and pulls off
It's recommended to bench bleed the master before fitting, (guide on google somewhere)
Get a eazzibleed pressure bleeder ( running at 12psi from a spare wheel)
Job done
Master is about £100 I think....
Empty Rez and pull upwards to remove then use a 11mm brake pipe spanner (flared ends differ to normal spanner)for the brake line unions, undo 2x 13mm nuts and pulls off
It's recommended to bench bleed the master before fitting, (guide on google somewhere)
Get a eazzibleed pressure bleeder ( running at 12psi from a spare wheel)
Job done
Master is about £100 I think....
-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
How did you try to bleed the brakes? I've no idea what level your technical knowledge is at, so is it possible you've been bleeding them incorrectly, and have just made matters worse?
-
daveodonnell
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 16
- Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:00 pm
Went to furthest from servo. Connected one way bleeding kit loosened bleed nipple and got my misses to pump pedal while I kept a eye on valve and brake fluid at the servo. Then got her to hold pedal down took valve off and tightened nipple and moved on to other rear and repeat and then on to drivers front and the finally passengers front. Does that sound right?
-
DanThe
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 28649
- Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Staffs
Its very common that old rear wheel cylinders die after bleeding, you will soon see if it has as the drum will be 'leaking' at the lowest point 
-
daveodonnell
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 16
- Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:00 pm
They have them on eBay for 2quid plus 4 quid posted or they have ones for 8 quid odd. Are they cheap ones a waste of cash?
-
daveodonnell
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 16
- Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:00 pm
Ok cool I'll order some new cylinders and get them stripped and checked a˜€
