Exhaust Brackets

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

User avatar
trickytrickster
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:00 pm

Post Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:20 am

Hi I wonder if someone might be able to answer my question. I recently had a new Exhaust Silencer (back box) fitted to my 92 318 cab. When I collected the car the garage returned one of the two exhaust straps and rubber hangers. They claimed the bracket the rubber mount attached onto is gone! I wriggled under the car and sure enough the rear mounting bracket is nowhere to be seen. The silencer now rattles and is driving me mad not to mention could damage the rear box. I have seen the bracket on eBay and my question is how does it attach to the car? Will it need to be welded on or does it bolt on?

Many thanks in advance
User avatar
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 49360
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:44 pm

They are welded on, but apparently not always very well. I've seen this before.
There's no reason why the replacement can't be bolted in place to the spare wheel well. Fit a large (at least 30mm ) washer under the bolt head inside the well.
User avatar
trickytrickster
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:00 pm

Post Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:46 pm

Thanks for your time and knowledge Brian will try bolting on a replacement.