325 track car- Killed engine. Prevent it happening again!

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

User avatar
StavFC
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 11:00 pm

Post Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:55 pm

I've got a few different questions here, so prevent spamming the forum with separate threads, hopefully we can get them all answered here.

Right, my E30 track car died a death the other weekend, slowly lost all compression and gone. Water temp went high, but not in to the red, but the engine was red hot, water instantly flashing to steam if you poured it on even the inlet manifold 20min after switchoff.
Head is cracked, pistons have melted slightly, the lot.

It had done 175k and a whole lot of track use, so it did well, but I'd like the replacement not only to be a bit more fun, but hold together better too.

1st up- Engine mounts- Another thing that happened that day was my 3month old so called "heavy duty rally" Mk1 Escort engine mounts died, well one did, literally split apart.
What can I use that wont do that? Comfort/vibration I don't give a damn about really, but them falling apart on track I do.
I didn't go down the hockey puck route as it seemed the pikey way, but wish I did now.
E46 rack swap so they need to be higher than stock too.

2nd- Flywheel- I like very light flywheels, and stock weight is about 8.5kg I think (is that right?), not great. I've seen 4.5kg (TTV Racing in the UK) and even 3.2kg (RHD Engineering in Oz) flywheels. There no issue with using them on these engines is there? Seen some recommend the E21 323 release bearing too, why's that?

3rd- Thanks to Chinese labour, large capacity alloy radiators are pretty cheap these days, so it makes sense to improve the cooling. E36 radiators fit, right? The fact they've got the filler/tank on the left no issue? Do you simply remove the OEM expansion tank and blank off the hose that normally goes to it then?
I'll be fitting an electric fan or two while I'm at it, I don't trust the viscous one anymore, and when the engine mount died it jammed it against rad too.

4th- Exhaust manifold- Both the RallyPrep and FritzBitz websites both blame the huge amount of heat held in the stock RHD log manifold for head cracking issues on track/race cars. Is this true? Though as I have a E46 rack and RHD, I'm not sure I can do anything about this?!

5th- Better oil cooler seem wise? My stock one is pretty worse for wear anyhow.

6th- Simplifying the water system- Is there anything I can do? All I can think of is removing the throttle body water, but can that be blanked off both ends or does water still need to travel that path, just bypassing it? As if bypass it don't really simplify it lol.

I think that's all. I think?! Thanks in advance. :cool:
DanThe
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 28649
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Staffs

Post Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:15 pm

Use an ally S50 rad, its the biggest you can get in there and plumbs into your existing expansion tank

I now have mount reinforcers made for the Burton power engine mounts, they work great and are only £40

Image

Ive not seen a steel flywheel as light as 4.5kg, I get the standard fly down to about 5.5

Beware of aftermarket/cheap oil coolers, they don't usually work very well and are very weak, especially at the hose fittings, I would just replace with a decent standard one, or pay for a custom one made in england
User avatar
StavFC
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 11:00 pm

Post Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:03 pm

DanThe-

S50 one, ideal, cheers.
Will the reinforcers make any difference? Mine literally tore the top clean off the rubber bit its joined to- That'd do the same wouldn't it?

Willnz- Good info. Hardest thing is finding any kind of manifold that will fit a rhd aside from custom big bucks ones.

The 323 e21 bearing is recommended on that one flywheel i mentioned, i guess it sits further away than stock. Would a 323 e21 bearing work with a normal e30 clutch n fly? Just having visions of buying a different flywheel and only realising it needs the e21 bearing once its already in the car...!
Motorhole
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 2395
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Cheshire

Post Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:06 pm

Condor Speed Shop in the US do UHMW engine mounts for the M20 engine. I have a pair on my M52 and for the price, Can't complain. Vibration isn't too bad at all given the extra hardness.
DanThe
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 28649
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Staffs

Post Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:45 am

StavFC wrote:DanThe-

S50 one, ideal, cheers.
Will the reinforcers make any difference? Mine literally tore the top clean off the rubber bit its joined to- That'd do the same wouldn't it?
Yes they restrict the movement of the mount/engine, the mount will not tear if the engine doesn't move, the gearbox mounts also play a big part in engine movement but usually never get changed or upgraded