Unlocking issues
Moderator: martauto
-
Stevenld
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 20
- Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:00 pm
Hello I have an '87 325is. About a week ago I broke my key in the driver side door. Now that I have the key out and I got a new key I'm having problems with the locking mechanism as a whole. I can't unlock my driver side door or move it at all from the horizontal position. I can lock and unlock my passenger side door by turning it maybe an 1/10 of the way back and forth. The truck lock works fine but I can't lock the entire system with my key from the back. Also the interior light no longer comes on when I have my door open. Id really like to be able to lock my car and use my driver side lock for its actuall intended use. Please help me of at all possible I'm new to e30s and this one has defiantly been an adventure and headache all in one.
-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
You'll need to take off the driver's side door card, prise off the big 'C' clip, take out the lock assembly and remove the barrel to see if any of the ends of the plungers are sticking out of either side with the key in. Sounds like a case of incompatibility between a brand new key and an old, worn lock.
If they are, then it's either buy a lock rebuild kit from BMW (the only way to get a new L shaped alloy piece at the back of the lock, if that's worn) or carefully file the projecting bits flush.
The whole of the car should be lockable from the boot, except that the deadlocks, other than on the boot, cannot be set.
If they are, then it's either buy a lock rebuild kit from BMW (the only way to get a new L shaped alloy piece at the back of the lock, if that's worn) or carefully file the projecting bits flush.
The whole of the car should be lockable from the boot, except that the deadlocks, other than on the boot, cannot be set.
-
Yeti
- Old Skooler

- Posts: 273
- Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:00 pm
or you could of damaged it getting the old key out? bmw do a tumbler rebuild kit for like £25 i checked the other day 
