Front heated recaro seats- broken elements
Moderator: martauto
-
m3beast
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 68
- Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:00 pm
Hi guys, I have recently bought a very nice black leather recaro interior for my cab.. connected the live feed from the 12v cigar lighter. . Power is going to seats.. but they are not heating up? On futher investigation, I removed the rear seat covers and discovered that the elements are in a bad state and actually broken at some joints???
Any idea what I action I should take to repair/replace these??
Thanks in advance
Stressed!!!!!
Any idea what I action I should take to repair/replace these??
Thanks in advance
Stressed!!!!!
-
Z3I
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 3504
- Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:00 pm
- Location: By Brooklands, in the sunny south.
25 year old heated seat elements are crap! You need to replace them, and original BMW is the best way. Buy new from BMW.
Selection of BMW hardtops available, please ask!
-
Z3I
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 3504
- Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:00 pm
- Location: By Brooklands, in the sunny south.
If you dont have the necessary cabling and switching I have the kits at £95 btw
Selection of BMW hardtops available, please ask!
-
m3beast
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 68
- Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:00 pm
Thanks for the replies!
I have the correct switching, the factory loom etc.. plug and play..
What exactly do I get with your kit?
I live in Sheffield and don't want to attempt this repair myself. ..
Has anyone local to me carried out this replacement of elements?
I have the correct switching, the factory loom etc.. plug and play..
What exactly do I get with your kit?
I live in Sheffield and don't want to attempt this repair myself. ..
Has anyone local to me carried out this replacement of elements?
-
Z3I
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 3504
- Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:00 pm
- Location: By Brooklands, in the sunny south.
If you have the loom and switches, then thats all you need. You only needs the elements from BMW, Cotswold on here might be the cheapest for you. Fitting is either diy or a trimmers job.
Selection of BMW hardtops available, please ask!
-
B7
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 15841
- Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:00 pm
- Location: Surrey / West Sussex
For a start, if you have the correct looms then I doubt you should getting the power from the fag lighter?
B7's Motto. "If it's French, BURN IT!!!!!!"
-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Dedicated wire from fuse 16 to the socket, and fed from unloader relay K5.diable wrote:It should plug in to the accessory socket.B7 wrote:For a start, if you have the correct looms then I doubt you should getting the power from the fag lighter?
I've seen a few cars where this wire is not fitted. If there is no metal bucket for the fuse leg visible in the outer socket for fuse 16, your car is one of these.
Short circuit protection is inadequate if fed from the cigarette lighter.
-
m3beast
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 68
- Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:00 pm
Now I am confused. ..
So what your saying is that, I should use fuse 16 for supply power?
The guy I bought them off told me to connect to the 12v, and fuse it down to 15a.. lol
Anyone know of a competent person in or around Sheffield who can do this for me the right way? ?
Last thing I want is a fire..
So what your saying is that, I should use fuse 16 for supply power?
The guy I bought them off told me to connect to the 12v, and fuse it down to 15a.. lol
Anyone know of a competent person in or around Sheffield who can do this for me the right way? ?
Last thing I want is a fire..
-
m3beast
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 68
- Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:00 pm
Also where is this accessory socket located? ?
-
m3beast
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 68
- Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:00 pm
Also where is this accessory socket located? ?
-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Unfortunately, the 30A fuse for the cigarette lighter also feeds the windows and roof with a front door open, so is likely to pop a 15A fuse, especially if the heated seats are on.m3beast wrote:
The guy I bought them off told me to connect to the 12v, and fuse it down to 15a.. lol
-
Z3I
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 3504
- Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:00 pm
- Location: By Brooklands, in the sunny south.
Your loom should look like this :


Selection of BMW hardtops available, please ask!
-
m3beast
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 68
- Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:00 pm
Looks exactly like that!
Im going to pop into bmw tomorrow and inquire about the new elements. . Hopefully won't be too expensive
Im going to pop into bmw tomorrow and inquire about the new elements. . Hopefully won't be too expensive
-
Z3I
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 3504
- Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:00 pm
- Location: By Brooklands, in the sunny south.
Ask cotswold on here, discount and free delivery too.m3beast wrote:Looks exactly like that!
Im going to pop into bmw tomorrow and inquire about the new elements. . Hopefully won't be too expensive
Selection of BMW hardtops available, please ask!
-
m3beast
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 68
- Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:00 pm
How do I contact him?
Do you have his number please?
Do you have his number please?
-
jimbom30cab
- Tech 1 freak
- Posts: 7631
- Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:00 pm
- Location: in the garage
Cotswold BMW dealers
They have a thread on here or just google them
They have a thread on here or just google them
-
Z3I
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 3504
- Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:00 pm
- Location: By Brooklands, in the sunny south.
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... forum&f=39m3beast wrote:How do I contact him?
Do you have his number please?
Just click on new topic and ask away!
Selection of BMW hardtops available, please ask!
-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
£50 for the base element, eight years ago.diable wrote:m3beast wrote: Im going to pop into bmw tomorrow and inquire about the new elements. . Hopefully won't be too expensive
ha ha ha ha
-
m3beast
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 68
- Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:00 pm
Lol I think you've already been there pal??
Lol
Lol
-
m3beast
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 68
- Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:00 pm
Im going to attempt this diy job! Hopefully it'll catch fire with mrs in the car lol
-
m3beast
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 68
- Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:00 pm
Killing two birds with one stone..
-
Cloggy Saint
- Old Skooler

- Posts: 8027
- Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: zummerzet
-
m3beast
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 68
- Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:00 pm
Is the repair all carried out from behind the seat?
Do I have to remove any of the leather?
Any special tools needed?
Thanks
Do I have to remove any of the leather?
Any special tools needed?
Thanks
-
bimanut
- E30 Zone Camper

- Posts: 1194
- Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:00 pm
- Location: Warrington
The seats will need breaking down,leathers stripped off and a pair of hog ring pliers and a bag of new hog rings. 

-
m3beast
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 68
- Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:00 pm
What!!!!! No way??? This is beyond my capabilities!
Anyone around Yorkshire who can do this for me?
Anyone around Yorkshire who can do this for me?
-
Cloggy Saint
- Old Skooler

- Posts: 8027
- Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: zummerzet

