Bearings..

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

craigieeb
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 4988
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: In my man cave modifying... something

Post Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:01 pm

I'm about to get a seat of main/crankshaft bearings for the M50..

I've got the old ones here, but the part number cant be found on either realoem or bmw fans,
I'm sure there standard in size as the production date on them is 01-91
and i dont think the crank has ever been out let alone have a re-grind,

what would people suggest?

Image

If you cant see the number,
it's 1717523 then underneath is
524/525

:?
M50 Turbo!!! :o I shall say no more :D
Simon13
The longest resto in the world !
Posts: 22697
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Camberley, Surrey don't u know

Post Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:01 pm

M50 uses the same shells of M20's and lots of other bmw engines if the mains are 60mm and big end 45mm

I'd not worry some stock M50 shells in the correct size will do
craigieeb
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 4988
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: In my man cave modifying... something

Post Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:09 pm

Yeah, I noticed they were the same as the M20,

I was just curious why the part number's didnt show up anywhere
normally realoem/bm fans tell you if they have been replaced with part number xxx
but nothing of the sort came up.

just got me a bit curious
M50 Turbo!!! :o I shall say no more :D
HairyScreech
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Posts: 6265
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:00 pm

Post Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:30 pm

Sometimes obsolete numbers don't show up, I have had a real head scratcher with some z3 bits recently due to obsolete numbers.

As Si says, m20 and m50 shells are pretty much interchangeable but I notice there you have a double tang bearing, I can never remember which is the old type but the M20 used 2 different shells, double tang and single tang. Ones hard to get and can be a pain in the arse.
2.8 development thread http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... c&t=170822

m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
craigieeb
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 4988
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: In my man cave modifying... something

Post Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:41 pm

Good spot!!

If my memory serves, my old M20 had a single tab/tang, I think

But knowing my luck, it'll be the "double tang" bearings that will be hard to find :mad:

I have just seen these, while typing this lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271129090424? ... EBIDX%3AIT

they look to be the same, whether it's just a generic picture or not... is a different question
M50 Turbo!!! :o I shall say no more :D
craigieeb
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 4988
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: In my man cave modifying... something

Post Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:01 pm

Hmmm
just to add to my confusion :mad: lol

I've checked my spare M50 n/vanos block, (the main one is getting a boring)
but on this one, the block has a single "tang" and the caps are double



:mad: :mad:
M50 Turbo!!! :o I shall say no more :D
HairyScreech
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Posts: 6265
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:00 pm

Post Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:58 am

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=256117

There you go.

I think I have both styles kicking about so will have a poke tonight.

From what I can see there may be several ways around this if you have an early 360 oiling block.

It's worth noting that despite the internet hearsay that 360 oiling is better it is not, here's Mahle's take on it.

http://www.vandervell.co.uk/images/slid ... forman.pdf
2.8 development thread http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... c&t=170822

m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
craigieeb
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 4988
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: In my man cave modifying... something

Post Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:22 pm

Some good info there fella :D

I've just ordered a set of standard size kolbenschmidt
I made sure they had the double and single tab's/tangs..

Image
(pic of actual bearings)

and after reading the loss of efficiency/performance/power even, in the 360 grove bearings,
I just went with the norm

:cool:
M50 Turbo!!! :o I shall say no more :D