M20 facelift thermostat housing replacement

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

User avatar
tiw30
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:00 pm

Post Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:37 pm

I am about to replace my M20 facelift thermostat housing, its seems it will foul the fuel rail, can the rail be removed without removing the injectors by just removing the clips to the injectors. Are there any bolts holding the fuel rail as well, and is that all that needs removed or does anything else need stripped back.
I have had a search and a look in the WIKI but can't find anything

Many thanks for any help anyone can provide

Regards Glenn
User avatar
Skinny89
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:00 pm

Post Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:34 pm

A few weeks back I replaced my thermostat and to get the housing off was really hard and annoying due to the position of one bolt, but with persistence and a few swear words you can get the housing off with out moving the fuel rail
User avatar
tiw30
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:00 pm

Post Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:39 pm

I can get the thermostat off but if I try to remove the main housing on the engine side its movement gets physically blocked by the end of the fuel rail, there are no problems loosening any bolts
_Dan_
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:00 pm

Post Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:46 pm

Theres 3 or 4 10mm bolts holding to rail on to the manifold,

have you tried taking all the sensors out of the housing?
Emerald standalone, engine builds + e30 repairs - TheEngineShedOnline@gmail.com