I cannot unlock the door!
I have tried pulling the handle inside and out, pulling up the pin while turning the key, disconnecting the battery and spraying WD40 in the lock. It just won't turn.
Is it possible to get the door panel off without opening the door?
Any ideas?
Passenger door will not open
Moderator: martauto
-
daboy3000
- E30 Zone Regular

- Posts: 300
- Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:00 pm
- Location: Croydon
-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
The locking mechanism is probably dead locked. If you prise off the rear edge of the door card, you will find two 7mm hex. headed screws about half way up, just covered by the card. These screws will probably be behind the plastic film.
Cut the film from the screw heads and unscrew the two self tapping screws with an open ended spanner. This will allow the locking motor to hang free on its operating rod, and should allow the door to be opened normally.
Cut the film from the screw heads and unscrew the two self tapping screws with an open ended spanner. This will allow the locking motor to hang free on its operating rod, and should allow the door to be opened normally.
-
daboy3000
- E30 Zone Regular

- Posts: 300
- Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:00 pm
- Location: Croydon
Ok, Thanks
Long term whats had it and needs to be replaced?
Currently the central looking isn't working at all, it comes and goes. The drivers side is very stiff and I get a wiring noise from the drivers side footwell.
I think the whole looking system needs an overhaul.
Long term whats had it and needs to be replaced?
Currently the central looking isn't working at all, it comes and goes. The drivers side is very stiff and I get a wiring noise from the drivers side footwell.
I think the whole looking system needs an overhaul.
-
Yeti
- Old Skooler

- Posts: 273
- Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:00 pm
I had the same issue found that central locking motor was siezed in closed positiom
-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
A locking system that "comes and goes" is almost certainly one that is badly in need of my "red/black wire" modification; details of which I'm sure can be found in the wiki.
The most catastrophic failure that can occur to the locking system is when the driver's side sill drains become blocked, and the locking ECU gets flooded. This usually results in the ECU applying continuous power to the lock and deadlock motors, burning them out.
The most catastrophic failure that can occur to the locking system is when the driver's side sill drains become blocked, and the locking ECU gets flooded. This usually results in the ECU applying continuous power to the lock and deadlock motors, burning them out.

