No power to coil
Moderator: martauto
-
Orangecab
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 156
- Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:00 pm
- Location: West sussex
I have no power to the coil and also the injectors don't seem to be working,
Have tryed direct power to coil but to no avail, not sure where power comes from but I'd like to get the thing running today
I have been turning it over a lot but the plugs don't have any fuel on them so assuming there not working as yet
Any ideas?
Thanks rob
Have tryed direct power to coil but to no avail, not sure where power comes from but I'd like to get the thing running today
I have been turning it over a lot but the plugs don't have any fuel on them so assuming there not working as yet
Any ideas?
Thanks rob
-
jmc330i
- Engaged to the E30 Zone

- Posts: 6621
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Somerset
What car/engine?
The link below will help you troubleshoot...
http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/inde ... oubleshoot
The link below will help you troubleshoot...
http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/inde ... oubleshoot
James
'91 325i Sport
'93 318i touring 16v
'91 325i Sport
'93 318i touring 16v
-
Orangecab
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 156
- Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:00 pm
- Location: West sussex
320 89 cab pain in the arse atm!
-
jmc330i
- Engaged to the E30 Zone

- Posts: 6621
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Somerset
Was the engine running and now it won't? Have you done any work on it and now it won't start?
How did you test power to the coil?
How did you test power to the coil?
James
'91 325i Sport
'93 318i touring 16v
'91 325i Sport
'93 318i touring 16v
-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Power to the coil, which also switches the engine ECU on, comes through the plain green in the C101 engine plug, which in turn comes from the immobiliser socket behind the glovebox. Check out this socket, and if anything other than a loop of wire is plugged into it, check whether there is power on both pins.
-
Orangecab
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 156
- Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:00 pm
- Location: West sussex
Thanks for the help! I got called out to a job so had to stop working on it! Will have another go at the weekend so will update then
-
Orangecab
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 156
- Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:00 pm
- Location: West sussex
Ok a little bit of progress, I now have spark! There was no green loop inside the car, now I just have no injectors working!
-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
It did when it left the factory, but never underestimate the ingenuity of alarm/immobiliser fitters. On the red touring in my sig., whoever fitted the immobiliser had carefully intercepted the green wire in the engine loom on its way to the coil, after the branch to the ECU.willnz wrote: The feed to the coil goes directly from pin#7 of the C101 to the coil so it is most unlikely you will have a fault in this section,
-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Most unusual to have sparks but no fuel injectors. How do you know that the injectors aren't working? Are you listening to them, or just going by lack of fuel being injected?Orangecab wrote:Ok a little bit of progress, I now have spark! There was no green loop inside the car, now I just have no injectors working!
-
Orangecab
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 156
- Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:00 pm
- Location: West sussex
I've had the car turning over quite a lot and the spark plugs are never wet! Nor do they smell of fuel!
-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
That might be because there's no fuel pressure. I.e. Fuel pump not running.
You need to check if it's running when the engine is cranking.
So what was connected to the plug with the two green wires?
You need to check if it's running when the engine is cranking.
So what was connected to the plug with the two green wires?
-
Orangecab
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 156
- Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:00 pm
- Location: West sussex
Nothing was connected to green wired so I've looped them for now, I have got a fuel pump with a fuel can in the engine bay so I am bypassing everything! Have just taken rail out, put all injectors back in fuel pump on and the dont squirt any fuel out!
I have the old dizzy engine if that helps!
I have the old dizzy engine if that helps!
-
Orangecab
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 156
- Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:00 pm
- Location: West sussex
Does the ecu tell the injectors or something else?
-
Orangecab
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 156
- Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:00 pm
- Location: West sussex
I have a feeling the fuel pump I have is not man enough!
-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
What have you connected the fuel pum to on the engine?
-
Orangecab
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 156
- Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:00 pm
- Location: West sussex
Direct to the fuel rail!
-
Orangecab
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 156
- Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:00 pm
- Location: West sussex
Think I've sorted the problem, I've ordered the wrong fuel pump! Ment to be a 3.5+ bar pump but it turns out I have a 3.5-4.5 psi pump!! Haha, could of got it done for Santa pod if I realised this a month ago!
-
HairyScreech
- Engaged to the E30 Zone

- Posts: 6265
- Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:00 pm
Yes, That will do it, the other pump is a carb fuel pump designed to supply carbs.
Do they even do a carb pump that fits in take for the E30?
Do they even do a carb pump that fits in take for the E30?
2.8 development thread http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... c&t=170822
m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
-
Orangecab
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 156
- Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:00 pm
- Location: West sussex
Not an in tank pump! It's an inline pump, I think at some point one of the previous owners put an early engine etc in the car, it's been a pain from the word go!
-
Orangecab
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 156
- Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:00 pm
- Location: West sussex
I ordered an aftermarket inline pump so I could locate the tank and pump etc in the boot and thought it'd be easier to add another pump when I upgrade the engine
-
HairyScreech
- Engaged to the E30 Zone

- Posts: 6265
- Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:00 pm
That would explain it then, did seem odd an 89 car with a carb pump as only the early 316 came with a carb pump.
External pumps are indeed cheap and easy, a friend just picked up a proper bosch motorsport unit for about £100 that is capable of fueling up to about 600hp.
External pumps are indeed cheap and easy, a friend just picked up a proper bosch motorsport unit for about £100 that is capable of fueling up to about 600hp.
2.8 development thread http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... c&t=170822
m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
-
Orangecab
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 156
- Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:00 pm
- Location: West sussex
I am hopefully picking up a pump in the week so hopefully I can get the thing started for the first time in years!
