z3 rack. with or without power assistance?
Moderator: martauto
-
grants50
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 54
- Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:00 pm
I have a z3 rack that I want to use. Question is should I bin the power steering?
The car will be mostly track car but will be road legal.
Pros and cons of no power assistance
Cheers
The car will be mostly track car but will be road legal.
Pros and cons of no power assistance
Cheers
-
maxfield
- Old Skooler

- Posts: 15185
- Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Mansfield
Keep the power steering.

-
grants50
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 54
- Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:00 pm
Z3 rack too heavy without it?
-
maxfield
- Old Skooler

- Posts: 15185
- Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Mansfield
I've driver with E36 and E46 rack without power steering. And found both very heavy, a hell of a lot better when connected up to the pump.

-
grants50
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 54
- Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:00 pm
Cool cheers mate. I'll keep it
-
DanThe
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 28649
- Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Staffs
As above, I've recently made PAS pipe kits up for a couple of local cars that started out with E36 racks and no power steering because it was easier at the time when converting to M52 engines, several track days has changed their minds!
-
grants50
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 54
- Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:00 pm
I'll be able to use my s50 pas pipes though?
-
maxfield
- Old Skooler

- Posts: 15185
- Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Mansfield
You will need to buy custome pipes from DanThe. ^^
You can bend/butcher then to get them to fit, but it's not the right way to do it.
You can bend/butcher then to get them to fit, but it's not the right way to do it.

-
HairyScreech
- Engaged to the E30 Zone

- Posts: 6265
- Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:00 pm
Can I suggest a Z3 pump as well?
I have basically the same rack on the Z3 and the E30 and the steering on the Z3 has a lot more weight to it.
I think the reason is the Z3 Pas pump is listed as a unique part to the Z3 and it would appear to have a lower assistance pressure (perhaps a lower pressure bypass?)
I have basically the same rack on the Z3 and the E30 and the steering on the Z3 has a lot more weight to it.
I think the reason is the Z3 Pas pump is listed as a unique part to the Z3 and it would appear to have a lower assistance pressure (perhaps a lower pressure bypass?)
2.8 development thread http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... c&t=170822
m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
-
grants50
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 54
- Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:00 pm
I'm doing s50b32 swap pal and running z3 rack on the e36.
-
HairyScreech
- Engaged to the E30 Zone

- Posts: 6265
- Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:00 pm
I think the M5x/S5x pumps all fit the same so you might be able to use a Z3 2.8 pump on the S50 for a lower level of assistance if my theory is correct.
Better than full assistance and more usable than no assistance.
Better than full assistance and more usable than no assistance.
2.8 development thread http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... c&t=170822
m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
-
reggid
- E30 Zone Squatter

- Posts: 1984
- Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Oz
direct swap?HairyScreech wrote:Can I suggest a Z3 pump as well?
I have basically the same rack on the Z3 and the E30 and the steering on the Z3 has a lot more weight to it.
I think the reason is the Z3 Pas pump is listed as a unique part to the Z3 and it would appear to have a lower assistance pressure (perhaps a lower pressure bypass?)
maybe you could just add a bigger pulley to the e30 pump to slow it down?
E30 325is with M20B31
-
HairyScreech
- Engaged to the E30 Zone

- Posts: 6265
- Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:00 pm
Pumps are identical as far as I can tell, will get some pictures of the one on the Z3 tomorrow.
100% the steering is heavier on the z3 than any e36 or e30 I have driven with or without a rack swap.
http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/32411093039/
Bearing in mind the Z3 is just an E36 under the bonnet and the pump units look swappable between several of the BMWs why do they have unique part numbers.
I have been wondering about it for a couple of months and the only thing I can come up with is that the output pressure is tweeked to suit the desired feel of each car.
Edit - Don't know if its a direct swap, for an M5x engine it should be as the 2.8 Z3 is like the front of an e36 328i lifted into another body.
M20 it may be more work than it is worth but a pressure relief valve mod may be possible.
I am going to look into it as the E30 is intolerably light now I have the Z3.
100% the steering is heavier on the z3 than any e36 or e30 I have driven with or without a rack swap.
http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/32411093039/
Bearing in mind the Z3 is just an E36 under the bonnet and the pump units look swappable between several of the BMWs why do they have unique part numbers.
I have been wondering about it for a couple of months and the only thing I can come up with is that the output pressure is tweeked to suit the desired feel of each car.
Edit - Don't know if its a direct swap, for an M5x engine it should be as the 2.8 Z3 is like the front of an e36 328i lifted into another body.
M20 it may be more work than it is worth but a pressure relief valve mod may be possible.
I am going to look into it as the E30 is intolerably light now I have the Z3.
2.8 development thread http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... c&t=170822
m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
-
reggid
- E30 Zone Squatter

- Posts: 1984
- Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Oz
I'm interested in this as a little heavier would suit me. IE in the USA sell a bigger pump pulley to reduce parasitic losses but don't know what kind of effect it has on steering feel
E30 325is with M20B31
-
HairyScreech
- Engaged to the E30 Zone

- Posts: 6265
- Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:00 pm
That's just the trouble isn't it, if you under drive the pump your actually going to suffer at lower engine speeds and when you need the assistance the most (parking), but by dropping/capping the peak pressure you should still be able to get a good low speed feel without having to rev the engine to get the steering light enough to park the car properly.
I am off work for the week so might look into it, if I find anything I will let you know.
I am off work for the week so might look into it, if I find anything I will let you know.
2.8 development thread http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... c&t=170822
m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
-
TriggerFish
- E30 Zone Regular

- Posts: 508
- Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:00 pm
- Location: Aylesbury, Bucks
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/STEERING-Power-S ... 0964868696
^ Z3 pump. States 98 bar on the sticker/label.
Both the E30 pumps I have (off M20B25s) have a 110 bar rating.
There's the extra resistance
^ Z3 pump. States 98 bar on the sticker/label.
Both the E30 pumps I have (off M20B25s) have a 110 bar rating.
There's the extra resistance
-
DanThe
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 28649
- Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Staffs
Epic info 
-
TriggerFish
- E30 Zone Regular

- Posts: 508
- Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:00 pm
- Location: Aylesbury, Bucks
Watch the price of z3 pumps sky rocket now...
