Front control arm bushes

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

parakeats
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: Winchester

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:09 am

So I've recently come across worn front control arm bushes, got a lovely knock from them (which reassures the girlfriend that old cars are fantastic 8O )

I've been reading up on it and a lot of people seem to recommend upgrading them to offset M3 ones for a better steering feel, is this a worthy upgrades and if not then would you recommend replacing it with what it's got on it already, or a firmer bush? I'm looking to do an engine and rack swap and renew all the suspension bushes eventually if thats something to consider

I know my 318i drives like a boat and it's like I'm driving through an american filmset with the adjustments I have to do currently!

And any preferred places to buy the replacement parts?
HairyScreech
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Posts: 6265
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:00 pm

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:31 pm

On an E30 I wouldn't fit anything other than the eccentrics, second choice Z3M bushes which are concentric and solid.
2.8 development thread http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... c&t=170822

m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
jmc330i
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Posts: 6621
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Somerset

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:35 pm

^^^This.
If you go for the eccentrics, just remember to fit them the right way round :D
James
'91 325i Sport
'93 318i touring 16v
User avatar
BenHar
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 3089
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:00 pm
Location: Reigate, Surrey

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:53 pm

jmc330i wrote:^^^This.
If you go for the eccentrics, just remember to fit them the right way round :D
And get the tracking adjusted after fitting.

Ben
User avatar
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 49360
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:58 pm

Note that if you buy them from BMW, they supply them in pairs under one part number, so only order one. Ordering two will result in four bushes turning up.
parakeats
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: Winchester

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:02 pm

Looks like eccentrics it is, are they noticeably better then, having only driven mine it's hard to guess how it'd feel after :D

As if anyone would ever fit them the wrong way round right? winkeye do all the lollipops have the marks on even if the original bushes were centred?


also, is it something I could fit using a vice to press them in?
Last edited by parakeats on Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HairyScreech
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Posts: 6265
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:00 pm

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:21 pm

you can press them in with a vice easily, done it many times, use a bit of wood to protect the casing, sand the housing clear of any rust and use some oil.

If you have trouble getting them started then put a tiny (like 2mm) chamfer on the edge of the lollypop. Will be enough.
2.8 development thread http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... c&t=170822

m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
User avatar
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 49360
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:56 pm

The original concentric bushes still have to be fitted into the lollipops the right way up.
The most important thing to remember is that the bushes must be pushed onto the control arm pins and orientated to the correct angle, using a lubricant that ceases to lubricate after a short while, such as a 50/50 mix of water and washing up liquid.
It's essential that the bush grips the pin and doesn't rotate on it as the suspension compresses and rebounds, forming a frictionless bearing by twisting the rubber. If the rubber moves on the pin, the bush will have a very short life.
parakeats
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: Winchester

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:21 pm

atleast they're not too expensive if i cock it up the first time :roll:

Do you recommend taking the control arm off to fit it onto the pin or doing it in place with the balljoints still fitted? haven't received the parts yet so unsure what'd be easiest when I'm led on the drive...
User avatar
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 49360
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:56 pm

Fit/leave the control arm on the car, and wedge a block of 3 x 2 between the rear of the arm and the car to keep it down and still. Clean the pin with emery cloth, lubricate everything up, and twist/push the lollipop and bush onto the pin, then quickly bolt it up and drop the car onto the ground before the lubricant dries.
parakeats
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: Winchester

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:27 pm

Great, once I get the bits I need (once I get paid) I'll give it a whirl :D Thanks for the advice :thumb:
User avatar
Bally
E30 Zone Camper
E30 Zone Camper
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Slough

Post Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:41 pm

Hi sorry can anyone help I want to change my control arm bushes I have a j reg 325 auto convertible does anyone have a part number for the eccentric bushes and how do I make sure I fit them correctly (ie the right way round) any help appreciated thanks