How can you tell if your suspension is knackered?

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

User avatar
Mahmood
E30 Zone Camper
E30 Zone Camper
Posts: 1340
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: People's Republic of Londonistan

Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:57 am

Hi all

Driving the car this a.m. and had to slow down for a speed bump. Anyway, did so but then heard a bit of noise :cry: from the rear offside as I suspect the exhaust caught the speed bump event though I took it slowly.

Inspected the car afterward and all looked OK :D I thought I had a flat/leaking tyre that meant the car was lower on the rear offside. Tyre looks fine though. I had a quick look and can see no fluid leaking but I did notice the gap between the tyre and arch is not very much and the car is not lowered.

How can I check to see if the suspension is OK? Maybe simple but if you don't ask...

I need to know as I am driving to Dorset on Sat. a.m. and want the car to be safe for such a long journey.

Cheers all.
TOURINGDADDY
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 2268
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: PORTSMOUTH

Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:59 am

first off what e30 is it? and the simple bounce test is a good start it should settle in 2/3 bounces
Image
Simon
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 14939
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: South Wales

Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:10 am

TOURINGDADDY wrote:first off what e30 is it? and the simple bounce test is a good start it should settle in 2/3 bounces
2/3 bounces? That would tell me the suspension is knackered. The car should not bounce, it should settle straight away.
Image
TOURINGDADDY
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 2268
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: PORTSMOUTH

Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:14 am

that wot i ment :oops: its early :mad:
Image
User avatar
Mahmood
E30 Zone Camper
E30 Zone Camper
Posts: 1340
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: People's Republic of Londonistan

Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:14 am

Hi all

Will do the simple bounce test.

The car in question is Splondike's Sport that I bought.

Cheers all

:cool:
TOURINGDADDY
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 2268
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: PORTSMOUTH

Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:16 am

if settles pretty quick then check the top mounts
Image
Karan
Married to the E30 Zone
Married to the E30 Zone
Posts: 8004
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Cheshunt, Hertfordshire

Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:32 am

beeem318i wrote:Hi all

Will do the simple bounce test.

The car in question is Splondike's Sport that I bought.

Cheers all

:cool:
ive been in that car and suspension seemed fine however id lift it and inspect all bushes and just change the rear top mounts and front top mounts as a matter of course... they arent too expensive from main dealer.
dazleeds
old skool raver
old skool raver
Posts: 12883
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Empire Building @

Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:38 am

well if karan,s had hold of your car it,ll probably be collapsed on the deck :lol: :lol: :lol:
www.oldskoolfantasy.co.uk
in the shit,the one to blame,yeh its all my fault ;)
Karan
Married to the E30 Zone
Married to the E30 Zone
Posts: 8004
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Cheshunt, Hertfordshire

Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:41 am

dazleeds wrote:well if karan,s had hold of your car it,ll probably be collapsed on the deck :lol: :lol: :lol:
ive just had a ride in it......

seemed tighter than other standard sports... i think mark had done a few things like subframe bushes etc....
dazleeds
old skool raver
old skool raver
Posts: 12883
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Empire Building @

Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:47 am

does he hav any tyres left now? :lol: :lol:
www.oldskoolfantasy.co.uk
in the shit,the one to blame,yeh its all my fault ;)
Karan
Married to the E30 Zone
Married to the E30 Zone
Posts: 8004
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Cheshunt, Hertfordshire

Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:11 am

dazleeds wrote:does he hav any tyres left now? :lol: :lol:
i was firmly in the passenger seat
dazleeds
old skool raver
old skool raver
Posts: 12883
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Empire Building @

Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:20 am

Damn thort youd wanna show him how its done mate :lol:

spin up them rears :woohoo: :burn:
www.oldskoolfantasy.co.uk
in the shit,the one to blame,yeh its all my fault ;)
E30Mark
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 8107
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Wimborne, Dorset

Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:48 am

Where abouts in Dorset you going? could always take a look if your passing...
Martinaston
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 3749
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: London

Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:18 am

Bouncing the car won't show anything if you have broken a spring or dislodged it.
Does the car still sit level ?
There is NO nucleus.
User avatar
Mahmood
E30 Zone Camper
E30 Zone Camper
Posts: 1340
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: People's Republic of Londonistan

Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:40 pm

E30Mark - I am at a wedding at Nether Cerne during the day.
http://dorsethistoricchurchestrust.co.u ... _cerne.htm

I am staying at the Greyhound in Sydling St Nicholas, Dorchester, Dorset DT2 9PD on Saturday night and driving back to London on Sunday late a.m.

How far are you from the Greyhound? I don't want to put you out mate but if you can give me ten minutes of your time, I'd appreciate it

Karan - thanks for the advice. Yes, the car is 'tight' and that's exactly what I said when I took it for a test drive.

Everyone else, cheers...will do the bounce check tonight.

:cool:
E30Mark
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 8107
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Wimborne, Dorset

Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:25 pm

beeem318i wrote:E30Mark - I am at a wedding at Nether Cerne during the day.
http://dorsethistoricchurchestrust.co.u ... _cerne.htm

I am staying at the Greyhound in Sydling St Nicholas, Dorchester, Dorset DT2 9PD on Saturday night and driving back to London on Sunday late a.m.

How far are you from the Greyhound? I don't want to put you out mate but if you can give me ten minutes of your time, I'd appreciate it
dorchester is about 30mins west from me. I'm in Wimborne, (in between Bournemouth & Poole) you will have to drive within a few hundred metres of my place if your coming along the A31...

I'll PM you my address, etc. Feel free to pop round! especially as i always wanted to splondikes wheels....