crank fornt bolt thingy

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

Widge
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 3661
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Leeds

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:55 pm

Right trying to strip my engine, and I'm down to undoing the crank front bolt. I don't have an engine stand and every piece of wood I try to wedge in the crank is just getting splintered by the counterweights. The engine has no fly wheel too so I can't do it that way. They must be done up very very tight - any ideas??
lentec
Boost Junkie
Posts: 434
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: essex

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:07 pm

i had a 2 foot of 5mmx25mm steel with two holes drilled so i could bolt it to 2 of the crank bolts and simply locked it against the engine stand!

oh might mention 6foot scafold bar and 3 friends swinging off the end!!!!!!!
User avatar
chu346
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 2403
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Leicester

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:11 pm

Take it to a garage and they can do it in a vice or use an air gun.
Widge
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 3661
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Leeds

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:11 pm

Hmmm, I don't want to admit defeat but I may have to wait till I get an engine stand.
User avatar
chu346
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 2403
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Leicester

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:14 pm

You do know that you can still take the crank out the engine with the front pulley on and the surrounding bracket.
Widge
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 3661
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Leeds

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:17 pm

OH REALLY! how the F*ck does that work!

And no there is no way I'm taking it to a garage.
User avatar
chu346
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 2403
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Leicester

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:26 pm

Widge wrote:OH REALLY! how the F*ck does that work!

And no there is no way I'm taking it to a garage.
Sorry if i offended you widge, but i don't know what kind of knowledge you have.

I was just trying to help :(
Turbo-Brown
Boost Junkie
Posts: 4705
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Aldershot, Hants

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:48 pm

I found that a stick of aluminium about 10mm in diameter and about 150mm long stuck in the crank case so that the webs for cylinders 3 and 4 bear against it, combined with the weight of my dad hanging on a 2 foot breaker bar undid mine :)

Conveniently, my mass and the aforementioned breaker bar produce almost exactly the specified tightening torque when it came to doing it back up again :D
325i Twin Turbo (until 10am 01/12/07 :( )

www.air-in.co.uk free M20 exhaust and inlet flange
Widge
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 3661
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Leeds

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:15 pm

chu346 wrote:
Widge wrote:OH REALLY! how the F*ck does that work!

And no there is no way I'm taking it to a garage.
Sorry if i offended you widge, but i don't know what kind of knowledge you have.

I was just trying to help :(
Sorry mate - I can do it if a garage can. An the first bit meant, how does it come undone? I didn't think you can get to all the bolts for the front oil seal plate.
Widge
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 3661
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Leeds

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:01 pm

Wahoooooo done it!!! :D
Used the metal rod in crank method and put the block on it's head then hit a welded up socket wrench with a 14lb sledge and shocked it free!!

Now I assume I need a puller to get the crank sprocket off?
Turbo-Brown
Boost Junkie
Posts: 4705
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Aldershot, Hants

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:04 pm

Sprocket should just pull off by hand, use a bit of WD40 and tap it VERY gently with a soft faced hammer :)
325i Twin Turbo (until 10am 01/12/07 :( )

www.air-in.co.uk free M20 exhaust and inlet flange
Widge
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 3661
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Leeds

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:10 pm

Haynes manual says use a puller, but there is no where to get the legs in :roll: I think wd40 and tapping th crank bolt with a hammer should vibrate it loose.
Turbo-Brown
Boost Junkie
Posts: 4705
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Aldershot, Hants

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:59 pm

Aah, sorry! I was talking about the 2.5's toothed belt pulley :oops:
325i Twin Turbo (until 10am 01/12/07 :( )

www.air-in.co.uk free M20 exhaust and inlet flange
Widge
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 3661
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Leeds

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:10 pm

Hmm yeah, can't seem to get the TIMING BELT pulley off the crank, and I don't think my bearing pullers legs will fit between the cover and the pulley.....hmmmm
Widge
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 3661
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Leeds

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:49 pm

Hmmmmm can't find my bloody bearing puller.......................got a set of torx sockets in the market though, bargin at Ԛ£9.99!

I really don't think when I find it there will be enough room......... :cry:
Widge
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 3661
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Leeds

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:53 pm

Super duper, I found the pullers but it wouldn't go on, so I had a go with a crooked pull and as I was doing the centre up by hand the pulley slid off!! Must have been the WD40 overnight and the application of a small force in the right direction. WHopee i can have the Eta crank in for measurements tonight!!! :D :cool: :twisted: