M10 318i won't start

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

dsio
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Brisbane Australia

Post Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:33 pm

I have had this car parked backwards at the top of the driveway while working on some non-engine related things.

I have replaced the gear knob, changed and remounted the radio antenna, removed the spoiler, rust converted and sealed before replacing it and plugging the boot leaks it had caused, and done some other fixes and tweaks to do with rust, accessories, and the interior.

Its been started on a weekly basis for the two months its been parked there, and a couple of days ago I go to start it and just got nothing. The battery was too weak to turn the starter, so I put it on charge like I have many times before. It was showing 11.4V before the charge, and was up to 12.8 after the charge, and full as can be.

I have tried to start it since then, and it turns over perfectly, but just doesnt start. It is trying, and you can hear it fire a cylinder about once every second, but thats as far as it will go.

I can hear the fuel pump, and there is definately fuel getting there. The spark plugs were pulled, and despite being dirty and wet with fuel, they were all still good. The leads were checked, and there was a spark from all of them.

So I have fuel, I have sparks, and I have a starter, but it just wont take. It has been standing, and its possible its simply low on fuel or has some bad fuel, but it doesnt make much sense. It is sitting facing downhill (on a moderate slope) and the fuel gauge is showing about 10L but the needle is twitching up to 3L each side. It started perfectly one day and ran perfectly at idle for a good 10 minutes, then 3 days later wont start at all.

Any ideas?
Gwynleym10
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 3650
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: London/Cymru

Post Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:13 pm

Are your sure its cranking as strong as it should do? Battreys when they die often can't wont recharge properly.

Are you able to roll it down the hill (in gear) while cranking?

Or you could try manually turning the engine over, just incas it has water or trapped gas or something in it.
Image
Dual wheel carriers -------195litre Fuel Tank
London 2 Cape Town
www.Overlandinthesun.com
dsio
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Brisbane Australia

Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:44 am

I still have been unable to start the car. So far, the car has had a bottle of injector cleaner in it, been filled up to 10L with premium, had the spark plug leads checked, and smells of fuel.

The engine seams to be flooding. The plugs have deep black carbon deposits on them and are wet with fuel when they are pulled out after running.

I really need to get this car running quickly!