E36 gearbox on M20 engine ?

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

User avatar
iKst
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Slovenia

Post Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:46 pm

does it fit ?

I have an m50 in now, but will swap back to m20. Can i use a gearbox from E36 325 ? Ive seen that some people use E30 gearbox for m50 swaps, so it theory it should go the other way around too right ?
jmc330i
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Posts: 6621
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Somerset

Post Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:08 pm

In theory yes, I guess.

Theres is an issue with the angle of the shifter when the M20 box is used on an M50 conversion, I think the shifter is moved round by 10 degrees or something like that.
So in theory, if you used the M50 box on an M20, the shifter should move the other way?? That is only a guess.

Another issue might be the prop. I would say you will need an E30 M3 prop to fit the E36 box.

Why are you changing back from an M50 to an M20?
James
'91 325i Sport
'93 318i touring 16v
User avatar
iKst
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Slovenia

Post Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:54 pm

Im using E36 prop now and its a perfect fit with M50 and E36 gearbox. I had to to modify shifter a bit, but nothing hard.

Im having problems with wiring this m50 and i dont have the time to find whats wrong. I can now get a good M20 so ill just put that in and drive.

Btw...what about clutch ? Is it the same as on M50 ? I have a new clutch there and i would like to keep it if its possible.

Tnx
jmc330i
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Posts: 6621
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Somerset

Post Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:00 pm

I didnt know an E36 prop would fit. You learn something everyday.

Sorry I dont know about the clutch on the M50s, so I couldnt tell you if you could use it or not.

What problems you having with the M50 wiring?
James
'91 325i Sport
'93 318i touring 16v
User avatar
iKst
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Slovenia

Post Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:23 pm

There is no spark. I dont know what is wrong, i used wiring diagrams from e30.de and from this forum and i cant make it work. I checked ecu and almost everything else and i cant find anything wrong.
User avatar
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 49360
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:29 pm

You'd be mad to go back to a M20 after youv'e fitted an M50. The M50 is a far superior engine to the M20.
There shouldn't be any problems getting the M50 loom to work in the E30. I'm sure we can get it sorted for you.
jmc330i
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Posts: 6621
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Somerset

Post Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:31 pm

Hmm, Sorry I dont know what to suggest. I dont know much about the M50s.
Sounds like youve had a good look over most things. Maybe send a PM to Brianmoooore, he seems to know his beans in the electrical dept and M50s too.

EDIT - Im late, he is here :lol:
Last edited by jmc330i on Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James
'91 325i Sport
'93 318i touring 16v
User avatar
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 49360
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:32 pm

First questions: Did you use E36 or E34 loom, and have you done any mods to it other than to the connector to the E30 c101 socket?
User avatar
iKst
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Slovenia

Post Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:12 am

Damn, i know its not a good thing to do but im so furstrated with this car i dont know what to do next :) I managed to get M50 in with almost no problems, but now im stuck with this silly problem i cant figure out.

Im using E36 loom. I took engine from E36, and put E34 oil pan on it. It worked fine in E36, so it should bo fine in E30 too. I also changed spark plugs.

I modified c101 connector like its shown on e30.de. The engine is turning but there is no spark.
Andy325i
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 4052
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Avon

Post Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:28 am

Just a thought, did you take the loom off of the engine? If you did, maybe the cam/crank sensors are round the wrong way?


Andy
Image
M50B25NonVanos & M52B28Vanos Heads for sale. Pm Me.
User avatar
iKst
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Slovenia

Post Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:42 am

Nope, i didnt. I took everything out from E36 and drop it in E30.
User avatar
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 49360
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:27 pm

Vanos or non vanos?
User avatar
iKst
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Slovenia

Post Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:29 pm

Non vanos engine.
User avatar
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 49360
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:30 pm

Your'e not the person who chopped off the piece of loom to the three relays are you?
And where abouts in the world are you?
jmc330i
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Posts: 6621
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Somerset

Post Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:39 pm

Ive just been reading another thread which gave me a few ideas.

I take it the engine turns over but wont start. Are you sure its not sparking?
Could be a fuel issue - fuel lines fitted the wrong way round for example.
Dont mean to insult you, but thought it was worth checking.
James
'91 325i Sport
'93 318i touring 16v
User avatar
iKst
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Slovenia

Post Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:00 pm

Brianmoooore, im the one :) I connected all the wires back together, so that shouldnt be a problem. Im from Slovenia...anyone wants to come here on vacation and check my car :) :) :)

jmc330i, im sure there is no spark. I checked fuel lines and i tried to connect fuel pump directly to 12v, so im sure there is enough fuel.
jmc330i
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Posts: 6621
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Somerset

Post Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:18 pm

Thats good. I just read about someone who had the feed and return fuel lines the wrong way round.

Hopefully Brian can shed some light on the matter for you.
James
'91 325i Sport
'93 318i touring 16v