Have I got a problem with one of the diff bearings. Any help/ideas gratefully received
Leaking Diff with a bit of a whine
Moderator: martauto
-
dannosail
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 210
- Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: South Devon
Had a look under the car the other day after noticing a bit of a whine/drone coming from the back end. Noticed that diff appears to be leaking from one of the driveshafts. I've checked the oil level and its ok - some comes out when I take out the filling plug.
Have I got a problem with one of the diff bearings. Any help/ideas gratefully received
Have I got a problem with one of the diff bearings. Any help/ideas gratefully received
-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Nothing unusual for E30 diffs to whine a bit. They can go on happily for tens of thousands of miles like this.
Also not unusual for a diff output shaft seal to leak a bit.
Bit more worrying if the two started at the same time.
Output shaft seal is easy to change. - Undo ring of bolts holding driveshaft to the output shaft, lever output flange out of the diff 9snap ring), and you will see the seal. Prise out and replace, push output flange back in and connect up the driveshaft.
Also not unusual for a diff output shaft seal to leak a bit.
Bit more worrying if the two started at the same time.
Output shaft seal is easy to change. - Undo ring of bolts holding driveshaft to the output shaft, lever output flange out of the diff 9snap ring), and you will see the seal. Prise out and replace, push output flange back in and connect up the driveshaft.
-
dannosail
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 210
- Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: South Devon
Was just a bit concerned as I've only had the car a couple of weeks and I'm just sussing out the noises it makes - the scorpion exhaust gives it a bit of a burble as well not like my standard Touring.
Cheers for the advice on the seal, I might change it see if that solves the problem. G/box is leaking as well which is a bit more of a concern but engine is dry as a bone with only 60,000 miles on so I'm hoping it's nothing major.
Cheers for the advice on the seal, I might change it see if that solves the problem. G/box is leaking as well which is a bit more of a concern but engine is dry as a bone with only 60,000 miles on so I'm hoping it's nothing major.
-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Only concern with the gearbox leak (within reason) is if the oil gets on the gearbox rubber mounts and dissolves them.
Oil quite often leaks past the selector shaft oil seal at the top of the back of the box, as well as the output shaft.
Both are fairly easy to change, especcially if the exhaust is off for any other reason.
Oil quite often leaks past the selector shaft oil seal at the top of the back of the box, as well as the output shaft.
Both are fairly easy to change, especcially if the exhaust is off for any other reason.
-
rickk
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 96
- Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Netherlands, E30-1 325i
The whine is pretty normal, just usual wear and maybe a low fluid level. Any droning is probably indeed a bearing going out
.
Good news is that it probably will hold for a long time. Mine has been making droning sounds for the past 20k miles diagnosed to be coming from one of the bearings and altough it's really loud and annoying now above 60mph it still hasn't fallen off...
- Rick
Good news is that it probably will hold for a long time. Mine has been making droning sounds for the past 20k miles diagnosed to be coming from one of the bearings and altough it's really loud and annoying now above 60mph it still hasn't fallen off...
- Rick
-
dannosail
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 210
- Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: South Devon
rickk,
Yeah, i'd like to fix the thing before it drops off! I suspect I have a bearing problem, the droning is getting worse and I did notice it when my mate bought the car first. Might try wheel bearing first though?
Thanx for gearbox advice, i think it probably is the output shaft seal and i can see some oil coming from the top around the selector switch. Gearbox was recently taken to bits and all the seals replaced so with a bit of luck they might bed in -
I've been checking the oil level with the engine running after each drive and it seems ok.
Yeah, i'd like to fix the thing before it drops off! I suspect I have a bearing problem, the droning is getting worse and I did notice it when my mate bought the car first. Might try wheel bearing first though?
Thanx for gearbox advice, i think it probably is the output shaft seal and i can see some oil coming from the top around the selector switch. Gearbox was recently taken to bits and all the seals replaced so with a bit of luck they might bed in -
I've been checking the oil level with the engine running after each drive and it seems ok.
-
rickk
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 96
- Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Netherlands, E30-1 325i
Sure, by all means, both sound very much alike but the wheel seems to be reacting more to turning while the diff will react more to ac/decelerating.dannosail wrote: Yeah, i'd like to fix the thing before it drops off! I suspect I have a bearing problem, the droning is getting worse and I did notice it when my mate bought the car first. Might try wheel bearing first though?
But it's probably hard to tell the difference if you never experienced both....
- Rick
-
E30BeemerLad
- Married to the E30 Zone

- Posts: 16806
- Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Norfolk
If you have a noisy diff and it is getting on your tits and you are looking at replacing bearings, my old man reckons it will cost you more in bearings and the seal kit than it would to source a decent second hand one, LSD boys not included here by the way!
I haven't priced the bearings mind you
I haven't priced the bearings mind you
-
dannosail
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 210
- Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: South Devon
I'll swap the wheel bearing see if that solves.
As for the diff, my bro' just took the diff on his Audi S2 to pieces and still had a lot of trouble solving the problem - I think a second hand diff is probably the easiest way to go.
I'll see how it goes. Cheers for the advice.
As for the diff, my bro' just took the diff on his Audi S2 to pieces and still had a lot of trouble solving the problem - I think a second hand diff is probably the easiest way to go.
I'll see how it goes. Cheers for the advice.
