318 AFM Compatibility

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

TheDutch
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 433
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:45 pm

I want to get a replacement AFM for my 318is as it's idling like a pig and has now started to get flatspots too. I'm want to find out if any of the other 1.8 E30s have the same component since M42 stuff is always more expensive. :-x
I don't suppose anyone with a 1.8 M10/M40 could have a look at their AFM and see what's written on it? Mine is a Bosch with p/n 0280202203, don't know what the BMW part number is tho

Neil
User avatar
hoshy
E30 Zone Wiki Guru
E30 Zone Wiki Guru
Posts: 4118
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Munich

Post Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:50 pm

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

Try this mate. online etk parts data base. should be able to cross-reference the numbers.
E46 M3 CSL but dreaming of another E30.
TheDutch
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 433
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:21 pm

Good stuff! That is a ridiculous resource, it has everything that any bmw engineer thought about ever :)
Gwynleym10
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 3650
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: London/Cymru

Post Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:28 pm

Have you tried cleaning it with carb cleaner?

Also check/renew the vacuum/bellows hoses around it.
Image
Dual wheel carriers -------195litre Fuel Tank
London 2 Cape Town
www.Overlandinthesun.com
TheDutch
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 433
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:45 pm

Yeppers I've tried all sorts, including different Idle Control Valve, new intake bellows, I have also dismantled (but not mucked about with) the AFM. Could be a viscious vacuum leak somewhere, but would that cause a flat spot too? Maybe that's another problem entirely! :cry:

You have to remove all the intake to get at the vacuum hoses right? Do they really cause problems that often? Really I'd like to get hold of someone with a known good AFM/ICV and swap them over to see what happens. SO WHO LIVES NEAR ME WITH AN iS AND WANTS FREE BEER!? :)

Neil