Windscreen wiper's and washer's

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

MISSY30
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 426
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Cornwall

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:23 pm

Delphin's MOT is due and the washer's and wiper's don't work.

The washers just dribble a feeble amount on to the bottom of the screen, Do I need a new washer jet pump? And where will I find on the car?
I did think that there was water dripping down from under the dash on the drivers side after I'd tried to use the washer's, Is this possible?

Because I've been turning on the wipe/wash but it's not had any water on the screen it's broken the spline bit of the drivers side wiper. What part do I need to replace this?

Any help appreciated :)
320Touring
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 12316
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Glasgow (Scotland)

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:54 pm

does it only make a feeble spray when you pull the stalk towards you?

if so it'll be a leak from the main screenwash tank (LARGE one on RH front wing), or the piping there abouts.

if you push the stalk in (towards the steering column) then the spray should be delivered from the 'intensive wash ' reservoir (small one on RH front wing)

Leak from the dash-cant see how that could be washer related, unless there is a piece of piping running along the scuttle/bulknead panel

hope that helps.

ps the piping and white connectors are relatively cheap from the stealers
The big Unit Parts Clear out Make me an offer on parts!
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... 81#2766881
User avatar
kevin316i
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 783
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:11 pm

Its worth replacing the checkvalve that connects to the washer pipes. They regularly pack up with the result of getting little or no water through the jets. They are available from the main dealers and aren't expensive. The little hose clips attaching it are a b***h to remove and replace so be patient.
MISSY30
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 426
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Cornwall

Post Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:44 pm

Thanks Guy's :)
If the check valve is the one in between the washer jets on the inside of the bonnet?
I had another look last night to see if I could spot the leak and had the bonnet up when I was trying the washer's and that bit was leaking, I've got another bonnet with that bit attached so I'll rob that and hopefully that will solve it.
I didn't know the wiper's were held on by bolts I thought they pushed on, Hopefully when I put the new wiper arms on if I do the bolt up tight they will be fixed.
Simon
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 14939
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: South Wales

Post Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:09 pm

Another thing I've always changed on my E30's are the nozzles themselves, always makes a huge difference, they always get clogged up with age, only a couple of Ԛ£Ã”šÃ‚£ from the dealers.
Image
Dan318-is
Married to the E30 Zone
Married to the E30 Zone
Posts: 8006
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Surrey/London

Post Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:11 pm

i thought my pump had gone when i had the same prob as u, i simply stuck a pin in the nozzles cleaned them up flushed the fluid an there good as new!