I've got 15" MSW's on my 325, with 255/55 tyres. The problem is that they seem to have a very low offset (haven't measured it yet), and the rears rub on the arches way too much.
The arches have been rolled as far as they can be, but they still rub, so much so that most of the markings have gone from the side of the tyres!
I'm not particularly happy with this, it doesn't sound very nice, and I'm also worried about the wear on the sidewall of the tyre. But is there anything I can do about it apart from getting another set of wheels with the proper offset?
I've been thinking 205/50's might help, but I don't think it would be enough. The only other choice would be to fit 195's, but they'd probably look naff. Any thoughts guys?
Rubbing wheels..
Moderator: martauto
-
Boots_Walker
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 163
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Newcastle, Australia
did you mean 205/55 ?
-
dazleeds
- old skool raver

- Posts: 12883
- Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Empire Building @
if youve got 255s get em off they just dnt fit mate 
www.oldskoolfantasy.co.uk
in the shit,the one to blame,yeh its all my fault ;)
in the shit,the one to blame,yeh its all my fault ;)
-
Jackle
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 208
- Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Tiverton, Devon
Erm, yes, sorry I do mean 205/55 - must learn to read what I've written before posting 
-
Jackle
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 208
- Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Tiverton, Devon
Any ideas on what I can do here peeps? The writing on the outer half of the rear tyres is all worn away, and I daren't carry passengers as they rub even with just me in the car!
As I see it I've got 3 choices-
1) Change the wheels - probably be too expensive, unless I can find a set of wheels cheap somewhere, are there any other car's wheels that will fit an E30 without the need for spigot rings?
2) Raise the car a bit at the back - it's currently lowered 40mm, would a set of 25mm rear lowering springs do the job? Is so has anyone got any for sale? I see GSF do a lowering spring kit, is it any good, and what does it lower the car by - if anyone knows?
3) Get narrower tyres (195/55?) - Probably the easiest option, but wouldn't look as good, and might not make enough difference anyway.
As I see it I've got 3 choices-
1) Change the wheels - probably be too expensive, unless I can find a set of wheels cheap somewhere, are there any other car's wheels that will fit an E30 without the need for spigot rings?
2) Raise the car a bit at the back - it's currently lowered 40mm, would a set of 25mm rear lowering springs do the job? Is so has anyone got any for sale? I see GSF do a lowering spring kit, is it any good, and what does it lower the car by - if anyone knows?
3) Get narrower tyres (195/55?) - Probably the easiest option, but wouldn't look as good, and might not make enough difference anyway.
-
Adam318i
- E30 Zone Squatter

- Posts: 1649
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Cornwall
Out of interest got any pics dude?
How far is Tiverton from plymouth?
Adam
How far is Tiverton from plymouth?
Adam

I love my Rice!
-
Jackle
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 208
- Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Tiverton, Devon
I took some pics on my phone earlier, I'll try to get them up tomorrow if I get chance...
Its about 60-70 miles I think mate.
Its about 60-70 miles I think mate.
-
nav786
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 2597
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Woking, Surrey
i doubt its the wirth of your tyre or how low it is. its got to be the offset

FOR SALE
SONY PSP'S £100
-
e30-320i
- E30 Zone Regular

- Posts: 518
- Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: suffolk
i have 15" on mine with 40 profile tires this may solve your problem but in my opinion it makes the wheels look too small for the car when i replace them i'll go for at least 50(unless i find some alpinas for the right money). my 320 is lowered 40mm all round and i still have quite a gap between the tyre and the arch.renault wheels will fit as i sold my old ones to a clio owner i think rover and vw will fit too but i'd check this out first
-
Jackle
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 208
- Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Tiverton, Devon
nav786 I think you are most probably right, I think the offset is ET12, which I know is too low for an E30 (should be about ET25). However the wheels were on the car when I got it, and I can't really afford to change them. So I'm really looking for a cheaper (hopefully temporary) option.
-
dazleeds
- old skool raver

- Posts: 12883
- Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Empire Building @
got some 15s bbs if you need em mate Daz
www.oldskoolfantasy.co.uk
in the shit,the one to blame,yeh its all my fault ;)
in the shit,the one to blame,yeh its all my fault ;)
-
Jackle
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 208
- Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Tiverton, Devon
Thanks Daz sounds good mate, how much do you want for them? The only problem would be when and how I could get up to you and then carry them back...
