Hesitating while driving

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

tom325sport
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 819
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Guernsey

Post Sun May 15, 2016 3:22 pm

My 325i cab has this annoying hesitation while driving. It starts and idles lovely and even on slow acceleration it seems fine. It's when I put my foot down it bogs down then comes to life.

I've cleaned and set the TPS, changed the fuel filter, cleaned the dizzy/rotor, new air filter and air flow meter.

Any help much appreciated. Maybe the exhaust? It's a scorpion - yes I need to change this!
Last edited by tom325sport on Mon May 16, 2016 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
aimlessrock
E30 Zone Squatter
E30 Zone Squatter
Posts: 1821
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:00 pm
Location: Manchester

Post Sun May 15, 2016 7:56 pm

when were the injectors last overhauled?
E30 320i Convertible (1989)
190 Mercedes (1988)

"there is nothing more expensive than a cheap E30"
tom325sport
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 819
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Guernsey

Post Sun May 15, 2016 10:44 pm

I was hoping it wasn't them. Anyway you can tell/rule them out?
User avatar
aimlessrock
E30 Zone Squatter
E30 Zone Squatter
Posts: 1821
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:00 pm
Location: Manchester

Post Mon May 16, 2016 12:57 pm

tom325sport wrote:I was hoping it wasn't them. Anyway you can tell/rule them out?
not really, if they have not be done in years I would argue its worth doing them to simply rule them out.

They are fiddly but easy enough to remove. I would then send them to injectortine and have them overhauled and balanced..refitting is also a 20 minute job.

It may even pay you to buy a used set have them cleaned and then fit the overhauled ones to save down time.
E30 320i Convertible (1989)
190 Mercedes (1988)

"there is nothing more expensive than a cheap E30"
tom325sport
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 819
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Guernsey

Post Mon May 16, 2016 1:18 pm

OK good advise - will look into doing that.

Do you think there is anything else that could be causing the problem?
I've read the blue temp sensor? But not sure how that would make the car hesitant?
User avatar
aimlessrock
E30 Zone Squatter
E30 Zone Squatter
Posts: 1821
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:00 pm
Location: Manchester

Post Mon May 16, 2016 11:12 pm

tom325sport wrote:OK good advise - will look into doing that.

Do you think there is anything else that could be causing the problem?
I've read the blue temp sensor? But not sure how that would make the car hesitant?
Possible, but the injectors sound like the prime suspects.
E30 320i Convertible (1989)
190 Mercedes (1988)

"there is nothing more expensive than a cheap E30"