E46 dash swap

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

User avatar
pierce
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 11:00 pm

Post Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:52 pm

So I'm seriously considering a dash swap from an e46, I get that this is pretty unnecessary etc etc, but I'm wondering how hard it could possibly be. I get that I will need the whole heating system, which probably won't fit, route the ducts, swap and change a few wiring connectors, a few hoses, but is that about it? Aside from a lot of butchering of course.....

Or, is it really not as simple as that? Would it be hard work to get the clocks to work? Could I just keep the e30 clocks and make them fit?

Has it been done?
rh306
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 2498
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 11:00 pm
Location: London

Post Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:35 pm

Be prepared to own the car for the rest of your life because no one will want to buy it once the deed is done 8O
jmc330i
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Posts: 6621
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Somerset

Post Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:43 pm

rh306 wrote:Be prepared to own the car for the rest of your life because no one will want to buy it once the deed is done 8O
^^This!!
Ive seen an E30 with an E36 dash, it looked gash. Not to mention none of it worked lol
James
'91 325i Sport
'93 318i touring 16v
senna
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 612
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:00 pm

Post Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:53 pm

The heater box is twice the size
You will be unable to move the seat forwards
HairyScreech
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Posts: 6265
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:00 pm

Post Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:14 pm

Check out the guy in new zealand that fitted the M54 and running gear to his E30, think he put the dash in as well.
2.8 development thread http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... c&t=170822

m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
User avatar
pierce
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 11:00 pm

Post Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:07 am

rh306 wrote:Be prepared to own the car for the rest of your life because no one will want to buy it once the deed is done 8O
Why are you, and so many others on the forum so concerned with resale value?

I really don't understand.........
rh306
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 2498
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 11:00 pm
Location: London

Post Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:22 am

pierce wrote:
rh306 wrote:Be prepared to own the car for the rest of your life because no one will want to buy it once the deed is done 8O
Why are you, and so many others on the forum so concerned with resale value?

I really don't understand.........
Good question :D I don't think it's really an obsession with values, more an attempt to save another BMW from being mutilated :( Quite a few people on here actually like their BMWs the way built BMW built them in the first place..
User avatar
pierce
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 11:00 pm

Post Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:55 pm

In that case I fully understand and agree.

Not neccesarily ££££s but rather the actual "value" of a nice example. I guess the two are linked so I see what you mean.
bss325i
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 24532
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:00 pm
Location: London/Surrey

Post Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:08 am

Its been done. A LHD car with S54 engine and SMG and complete E46 dash.

Someone posted a pic on FB a while back but can't find it on google.
http://www.bmrperformance.co.uk

BMW and MINI specialist - Gatwick