Seat suggestions for e30

General E30 related discussions -
Please put technical questions in E30 Tech Help forum below

Moderator: martauto

casper8r
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 354
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:00 pm

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:24 pm

I'm finding the "comfort" (unless I'm mistaken, the regular standard e30 seats) less than comfortable on longer journeys. What are the alternatives? Are "sports" seats any better?

There's a black e30 on the same street where I live (haven't met the owner yet, might be a zoner?) with Corbeau bucket seats. Are they ok for everyday driving?

Any suggestions appreciated, not looking to spend loads but looks like I'm keeping the car so might as well improve it. It's a touring so the front seats don't have to fold.
User avatar
pnd
E30 Zone Squatter
E30 Zone Squatter
Posts: 1801
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:15 pm

sport seats are better but be careful buying them as a lot of the second hand seats sold are knackered. after market seats may well be a good bet as a result of the above.
User avatar
AlpineAde
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 3829
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:00 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:09 pm

I've used Recaros for years. Couldn't be happier. I just bought another Recaro to go in the 325i I picked up earlier in the year.

If you have an iffy back or you find it doesn't cope well with long trips, try sitting in a few Recaros. They are excellent.
Ziggy
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 11534
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: floating round my tin can...

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:12 pm

'Comfort' seats = bl**dy uncomfortable.
'Sport' seats = very comfortable. And you'll be able to get some that match your trim. And they won't be expensive. And you're still here rather than out buying some, why exactly?!
E30 in need of wiring loom smoke since April '11...
Ajay325
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:00 pm
Location: London

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:47 pm

i would definetely go for the original sports seats, its easy enough to find leathers or possible even iS interior.

here's a few active links on ebay to get your started:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E30-MTEC-FRON ... dZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E30-MTEC-BACK ... dZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E30-3DR-MTEC- ... dZViewItem

I wouldn't advise bucket seats for long journeys, my friend has sparcos in his jap motor and I get a back ache after 15/20mins.

HTH
Ajay
josh-hocking
Teenager with Taste !
Posts: 2632
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:00 pm
Location: In my garage (lytham st annes)

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:48 pm

after market probibly best but maybe just put a cushion on the chair or something
Formal education will make you a living. Self education will make you a fortune.

Find a job you like and you will never have to work a day in your life!
casper8r
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 354
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:00 pm

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:51 pm

Ziggy wrote:And you're still here rather than out buying some, why exactly?!
'Cause the payday is tomorrow and my lottery numbers haven't come up yet (otherwise I'd be shopping for a fair bit more) :D
Ziggy
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 11534
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: floating round my tin can...

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:49 pm

:lol:

Just get some sport seats though - really they're some of the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in, & 'comfort' ones are some of the worst!
E30 in need of wiring loom smoke since April '11...
casper8r
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 354
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:00 pm

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:06 pm

Cheers for the suggestions everybody! 'Sports' seats it is then.

Come to think of it - putting bucket seats in my m20b20 powered retromobile is like putting a spoiler on a bicycle :D