Rpm drops when gas is pressed

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

User avatar
new_guy
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: RAF Lakenheath, UK

Post Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:05 pm

Hey guys. Super lost. Car was running fine and all of a sudden crazy problem started. The car idles just fine. Absolutely no problems. I can press the gas just enough to get the rpm to rise to about 3000. If I press the gas any more than that, the rpm drops to about 500 and won't rise till the pedal is just about floored. I can either barely touch the gas or floor it. No in between. I'm not very mechanically savvy so I have no ideas what could be the problem. Any help is much appreciated!!
Edit: new discovery. If I bring the rpm to the 3000 I can slowly push to down on the pedal a small amount at a time and the rpms will increase but really rough. And when I let the clutch out it stops and just drops back down to 500. Fuel not being ignited maybe? Ignition system problem?