Finally got around to looking at this issue. I have metered the current across all the fuses and fuse 28 is drawing 0.6A. So I have check opening and closing the doors, door switches are working ok. I have also disconnected the aerial, no difference either.
Can anyone shine some light on what else I could try?
Cheers, Matt
Battery drain on fuse 28
Moderator: martauto
-
staley_turbo
- E30 Zone Camper

- Posts: 1391
- Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:00 pm
- Location: Leicester
-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
BMW (and others) also power any alarm/immobiliser that may be fitted from this fuse.
-
staley_turbo
- E30 Zone Camper

- Posts: 1391
- Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:00 pm
- Location: Leicester
AFAIK there is no alarm fitted. I'm pretty sure of that. 
-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Many on here have said that. Several have found, after a search, that they are wrong. A few have found up to three alarms that they knew nothing about.staley_turbo wrote:AFAIK there is no alarm fitted. I'm pretty sure of that.
How sure is pretty sure? Have you had the wiring behind the glovebox exposed?
-
staley_turbo
- E30 Zone Camper

- Posts: 1391
- Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:00 pm
- Location: Leicester
I replaced the dash a few years ago and would of removed anything like that I'm sure. I will have another good look just in case.
The central locking packed up last year, I'm not sure if that's part of the problem but it's the next thing I'm looking into after the battery.
The central locking packed up last year, I'm not sure if that's part of the problem but it's the next thing I'm looking into after the battery.
-
Andyboy
- Alpina Colada
- Posts: 12580
- Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:00 pm
- Location: Notts
There's your problem them. Could be a buggered actuator (so disconnect each door loom one by one and check the current drop) or a buggered CL relay.staley_turbo wrote: The central locking packed up last year, I'm not sure if that's part of the problem but it's the next thing I'm looking into after the battery.
-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Only things on 28, connected there by BMW, are the lighter, electric windows and roof with the doors open, and the electric aerial.
The wire is red/yellow, and doesn't stray very far from the area behind the glovebox - it comes down the duct from the fusebox to the accessories socket, and a second wire comes direct from the fuse via the same route to a two pin plug and socket, then goes, via the round heater loom plug and socket, back under the centre console to the lighter.
Unplug the red/yellow from the accessories socket, and if that doesn't clear the drain, unplug the two pin plug and socket.
The red/yellow wire in the area of the two pin plug and socket is close to the radio area, so is attractive to ICE installers who don't quite know what they're doing.
Are you sure the window/roof switches are not illuminated when the doors are closed and the ignition off?
The wire is red/yellow, and doesn't stray very far from the area behind the glovebox - it comes down the duct from the fusebox to the accessories socket, and a second wire comes direct from the fuse via the same route to a two pin plug and socket, then goes, via the round heater loom plug and socket, back under the centre console to the lighter.
Unplug the red/yellow from the accessories socket, and if that doesn't clear the drain, unplug the two pin plug and socket.
The red/yellow wire in the area of the two pin plug and socket is close to the radio area, so is attractive to ICE installers who don't quite know what they're doing.
Are you sure the window/roof switches are not illuminated when the doors are closed and the ignition off?
-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Just one problem with this theory - fuse 28 is nothing whatsoever to do with the central locking. That's on fuse 27 (red/green).Andyboy wrote: There's your problem them. Could be a buggered actuator (so disconnect each door loom one by one and check the current drop) or a buggered CL relay.
-
staley_turbo
- E30 Zone Camper

- Posts: 1391
- Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:00 pm
- Location: Leicester
It is fuse 28. I'll check those wires later today thank you.Brianmoooore wrote:Only things on 28, connected there by BMW, are the lighter, electric windows and roof with the doors open, and the electric aerial.
The wire is red/yellow, and doesn't stray very far from the area behind the glovebox - it comes down the duct from the fusebox to the accessories socket, and a second wire comes direct from the fuse via the same route to a two pin plug and socket, then goes, via the round heater loom plug and socket, back under the centre console to the lighter.
Unplug the red/yellow from the accessories socket, and if that doesn't clear the drain, unplug the two pin plug and socket.
The red/yellow wire in the area of the two pin plug and socket is close to the radio area, so is attractive to ICE installers who don't quite know what they're doing.
Are you sure the window/roof switches are not illuminated when the doors are closed and the ignition off?
The window switches are definitely off when the door is closed. Current draw goes up to 3.6A when doors are open and back down the the 0.6A when closed.
-
staley_turbo
- E30 Zone Camper

- Posts: 1391
- Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:00 pm
- Location: Leicester
There is currently no CL relay fitted, I assume this brakes the whole circuit.
-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Might affect the current drain on fuse 27, but has absolutely no effect on that on 28.staley_turbo wrote:There is currently no CL relay fitted, I assume this brakes the whole circuit.

