Hi
Can anyone tell me if all E30 front top mounts are interchangeable across the range? I.E are the 3 bolts that fix the top mount to the car always in the same place
I have a bit of a confusing situation as I've sold my old coilovers and the buyer is saying they don't fit. I've spoken to a couple of people who know their E30's, both of which have told me that all E30's use the same top mounts.
My car over the years has had Bilstein, Spaz, GAZ and AST suspension all of which went straight on so I'm pretty sure my car is as it should be but the buyer is adamant that they will not fit.
Don't want to be unreasonable but at the same time don't want to be messed about.
Front top mounts
Moderator: martauto
-
jmc330i
- Engaged to the E30 Zone

- Posts: 6621
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Somerset
Yes, if they fitted your E30 they will fit any other E30 (the only exception being the 325iX 4x4).
In what way do they not fit? Hopefully the buyer realises that the studs will only line up with the holes in one way, so the strut top just needs rotating until they line up.
In what way do they not fit? Hopefully the buyer realises that the studs will only line up with the holes in one way, so the strut top just needs rotating until they line up.
James
'91 325i Sport
'93 318i touring 16v
'91 325i Sport
'93 318i touring 16v
-
andye30m3
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 95
- Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 11:00 pm
He's saying that the spacing between the bolts on his car are 4inch, 4 inch and 3.5inch and that the top mounts are all 4inches apart.
Seams very strange that they've been unbolted from my car and won't fit his.
I'm going to try and get down to where I keep the race car tonight to check but given that I've had so many different shock types I'd be surprised if mine weren't as standard as they come.
Seams very strange that they've been unbolted from my car and won't fit his.
I'm going to try and get down to where I keep the race car tonight to check but given that I've had so many different shock types I'd be surprised if mine weren't as standard as they come.
-
jmc330i
- Engaged to the E30 Zone

- Posts: 6621
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Somerset
If they came off your car which hasn't been bodged around with in the past, the buyer just needs to try again and rotate the top mounts until the studs and holes line up. Either that or he has changed his mind/wants a cheeky refund....
James
'91 325i Sport
'93 318i touring 16v
'91 325i Sport
'93 318i touring 16v
-
andye30m3
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 95
- Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 11:00 pm
I've never noticed my car having anything out of the ordinary on the front turrets and the race team that swapped the old coil overs for the AST's never said anything.
I think it's best I go and have a look and measure whats there but even the AST came off another E30 and bolted straight on.
He doesn't sound dishonest although was rather shouty and aggressive on the phone this afternoon.
I think it's best I go and have a look and measure whats there but even the AST came off another E30 and bolted straight on.
He doesn't sound dishonest although was rather shouty and aggressive on the phone this afternoon.
-
andye30m3
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 95
- Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 11:00 pm
Bugger it!
I'm going to have to eat humble pie just taken the strut brace off and the hole under the brace looks like it's been ovaled out, presumably to take the old top mount
I'm going to have to eat humble pie just taken the strut brace off and the hole under the brace looks like it's been ovaled out, presumably to take the old top mount
-
DanThe
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 28649
- Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Staffs
Might be E36 fitment, either way its easy to fix by knocking the studs out and re drilling the top mount holes in the E30 layout
-
HairyScreech
- Engaged to the E30 Zone

- Posts: 6265
- Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:00 pm
^^ what Dan said, sounds like E36 ones.
When I am in the garage tonight I will check the spacing on the Z3(e36) ones I just took off.
When I am in the garage tonight I will check the spacing on the Z3(e36) ones I just took off.
2.8 development thread http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... c&t=170822
m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
-
daboy3000
- E30 Zone Regular

- Posts: 300
- Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:00 pm
- Location: Croydon
Just done mine, they do have to go the right way round.

