M50b25 flywheel swap

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

User avatar
Benjer182
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:00 pm

Post Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:12 pm

I'm looking to up performance a bit in my m50b25 in the lower revs, and from my google searching I see fitting a m20 engine flywheel is a good swap when done but you need to use the correct clutch and release bearing for the flywheel, now can I use any m20 flywheel and starter or is it a specific one ? And the same for the clutch. Also I've read that you need to skim a bit from the flywheel to clear some bolts has anyone got a pic of where you need to take the material away from ?

Thanks in advance
User avatar
bosers
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 496
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:00 pm
Location: Devon

Post Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:33 pm

There's loads on this in the M50/52 swap section, have a butcher's in there. The starter needs to match the fly which can come from any 6 cylinder M20 I think. It does need machining down and slight mod to release fork is needed. Release bearing to match fly is fine.