Scary Rat's Nest!

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

User avatar
ChrisHC
E30Zone Contributor
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:00 pm

Post Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:23 pm

With the aim of installing a RightClick remote locking system I looked behind the glove box for the first time and discovered a rat's nest of wiring that had overheated and melted off chunks of the insulation.
Image
The black bundle taped together has one green and one lilac(?)/red wire going into it and the white plug has one blue wire, two green and brown(?) wires and the green wire from the bundle. I cannot be entirely certain of the colours.
There is one blue relay hanging in the foreground and two orange relays at the back.
Not so visible is a bundle of red wires of different sizes joined together and hanging loose, I presume these started off attached somewhere.
So far I have found no systems on the car that do not work or can be made to work, apart from the Scorpion anti-theft system. Is this mess to do with wiring for that? There is presumably a control unit for that hidden somewhere, unless the white plug went into that and it has been removed. I would be very happy to take out what remains of the Scorpion system if I knew how to do it.
The wiring diagrams do not help much as I do not know what I am looking at under here but they refer to location diagrams, are they online anywhere? Any suggestions about how to sort this out, or are any E30 specialists who are particularly good with electrics or any auto electricians who would know their way round an E30?

Oh dear I got the link to the photos wrong, try again:
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipM ... t9zSyTSj9G
User avatar
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 49360
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:52 pm

Can't see the pic. Get "error 403".
User avatar
ChrisHC
E30Zone Contributor
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:00 pm

Post Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:16 pm

Right, I hope I have now made it open to view.

The black bundle I refer to is a substantial length of twin flex in a hank taped together. The white plug looks like an ordinary BMW female socket.
User avatar
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 49360
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:48 pm

ChrisHC wrote:Right, I hope I have now made it open to view.
Nope! Still 403.
maxfield
Old Skooler
Old Skooler
Posts: 15185
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Mansfield

Post Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:53 pm

If you're struggling to host the pictures, there is a guide on the forum somewhere.

Failing that email them me.

Maxfield@live.co.uk
Image
User avatar
ChrisHC
E30Zone Contributor
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:00 pm

Post Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:07 am

willnz wrote:Methinks you are not very good at the internet.. still forbidden! winkeye
All too true, but I blame the Google website!
I have taken up Maxfield on his kind offer and emailed them to him.
User avatar
ChrisHC
E30Zone Contributor
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:00 pm

Post Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:02 am

User avatar
ChrisHC
E30Zone Contributor
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:00 pm

Post Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:08 am

Thanks, it is a bit difficult to be sure about the colours but I will have another go, looking further up where the insulation is less melted. The blue wire to the white plug does not have a trace colour as far as I can see. I am going to be out today but will get back on to it tomorrow.
User avatar
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 49360
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:48 am

One of the problems we have here is that nothing appears to be clipped into place where it should be, such as the blue relay hanging loose, so it's difficult to identify what is what.
The black bundle of wire is likely to be the lead to a dealer fitted BMW alarm/immobiliser control module, and my first guess at the white plug is that it once fitted into the immobiliser socket.
Does the car have an OBC in place of the analogue clock?
Any chance that the burnt green/brown could be green/red?
User avatar
ChrisHC
E30Zone Contributor
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:00 pm

Post Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:15 pm

Brianmoooore wrote:One of the problems we have here is that nothing appears to be clipped into place where it should be, such as the blue relay hanging loose, so it's difficult to identify what is what.
The black bundle of wire is likely to be the lead to a dealer fitted BMW alarm/immobiliser control module, and my first guess at the white plug is that it once fitted into the immobiliser socket.
Does the car have an OBC in place of the analogue clock?
Any chance that the burnt green/brown could be green/red?
Yes, the car has an OBC and no analogue clock. The two burnt wires I said were green/brown could indeed be green/red. Looking to see where they go I found one terminated in a blue BMW embossed plug with a single round female socket that was hanging behind the plastic panel to the centre of the dashboard before I pulled it out.
User avatar
ChrisHC
E30Zone Contributor
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:00 pm

Post Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:04 pm

Bump
User avatar
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 49360
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:41 pm

We're waiting for you to straighten all that lot out and see exactly what is and what isn't damaged. If I'm right, there should be a socket to fit that plug somewhere in that mass, which has two plain green wires going to it. If the car runs, these two green wires must be somehow shorted together.
Blue single socket: The only one I can think of that's there as standard is a connection for the tweeter position on the passenger door, but the dealer alarm/immobiliser installation instructions adds a few blue single pole plugs and sockets to interface the alarm with the OE wiring.
User avatar
ChrisHC
E30Zone Contributor
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:00 pm

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:37 pm

Brianmoooore wrote:We're waiting for you to straighten all that lot out and see exactly what is and what isn't damaged. If I'm right, there should be a socket to fit that plug somewhere in that mass, which has two plain green wires going to it. If the car runs, these two green wires must be somehow shorted together.
Blue single socket: The only one I can think of that's there as standard is a connection for the tweeter position on the passenger door, but the dealer alarm/immobiliser installation instructions adds a few blue single pole plugs and sockets to interface the alarm with the OE wiring.
Right, I cannot see anywhere a corresponding white male socket with two plain green wires. The only floating white socket is another female socket on the LH side which has one plain green and one green/red wire.
The white socket has a blue wire and a green wire, both of which go to the ECU. Neither are live when the ignition is on. The green wire has melted, the blue only where it is next to the blue.
The black bundle of taped together wire has two wires, one which was probably plain green but has largely melted off the insulation goes to the ECU. The other is grey/red and goes to a crimp to join another grey/red wire which seems to go to the engine bay and a grey/black wire which goes to the ECU. None of these are live with the ignition.
The only floating male single socket is on the LH side and has a red/yellow wire.
The blue relay has thick wires of green/blue, white/black and red/yellow, a thin wire of blue/brown and a short thin jump wire between two terminals of yellow/red.

In summary, the only damaged cables are those going to the black bundle of cable and the white female socket, none of which appear to be live. As the car is running and everything appears to be operating normally, my inclination is to cut these off and simply tape up the ends.
User avatar
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 49360
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:21 pm

The whole corner needs a good sort out! The orange dim - dip relays look like they may be mounted properly, but the multi plug/socket for the dash loom appears to be floating around, and I can't even see the accessories socket. Both these should be mounted side by side in the back left corner. Blue relay (windows/roof with doors open) should be mounted by the orange relays.
I note that in another thread you say you have no boot light, so whoever's been messing up your wiring didn't just confine themselves to this corner.
The burnt wiring needs to be removed in its entirety - burnt wires burn into other wires that they are in contact with, and cause cause future shorts between unrelated circuits, even if the wires are dead now.
User avatar
ChrisHC
E30Zone Contributor
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:00 pm

Post Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:26 am

Yes, there are two multi-plug sockets floating in the back left hand corner. It is a considerable disadvantage not knowing how it all should go, and I think I may have to take it to someone who does. You are of course right that the section of loom where the burnt wires disappear into should be replaced to avoid storing up problems for the future.
User avatar
ChrisHC
E30Zone Contributor
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:00 pm

Post Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:06 pm

Right, that looks much more orderly, everything on my car appears to have been pulled out of position and not replaced. Thank you.