E30 Road Trip Help!
Moderator: martauto
-
berndtk
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 6
- Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:00 pm
Good day all! I'm heading out to pick up my E30 about 1200 KM's away on the other side of the country. It sat for 7-8 with the original owner who was a car enthusiast. He changed the water pump and timing belt before parking it for those 7-8 years. This spring the owner sold it to the chap I'm looking at buying it from. The current owner has done new brakes, fluids all round, radiator and a few other pieces and has put 35000 KM's on it since owning it. My question is if I buy it and plan to drive it back, should I do the timing belt and water pump before attempting to make it 1200 KM's home?
-
BenHar
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 3089
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:00 pm
- Location: Reigate, Surrey
What engine is it?
Ben
Ben
-
berndtk
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 6
- Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:00 pm
It is an 1989 325is Tech 2. So I think that's a m20? Forgive me if I'm wrong. Still trying to learn all of the ropes.
-
BenHar
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 3089
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:00 pm
- Location: Reigate, Surrey
I would definitely get the timing belt changed. They are supposed to be done every two years. A 9 year old one is asking for trouble.
Ben
Ben
-
jimbom30cab
- Tech 1 freak
- Posts: 7631
- Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:00 pm
- Location: in the garage
I agree but 100% you must check all the fuel hoses for cracking etc
-
berndtk
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 6
- Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:00 pm
Anything else to look for before heading out?
-
HairyScreech
- Engaged to the E30 Zone

- Posts: 6265
- Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:00 pm
BenHar wrote: A 9 year old cam belt.

Translation - I would change that.
2.8 development thread http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... c&t=170822
m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
-
berndtk
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 6
- Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:00 pm
Haha that meme though. What does a timing belt and water pump with labour run you guys? The owner seems to be asking alot for the combo and labour.
-
bmw9818
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 2561
- Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:00 pm
- Location: Croydon
every 2 years? ive had mine going for about 4/5 years
-
jimbom30cab
- Tech 1 freak
- Posts: 7631
- Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:00 pm
- Location: in the garage
It's total luck of the draw, i ran a 325i with a 10 year old belt on for full year no problems.
but.....i've also had one snap before
better to be safe than stuck by the road side...
but.....i've also had one snap before
better to be safe than stuck by the road side...
-
BenHar
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 3089
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:00 pm
- Location: Reigate, Surrey
BMW recommend every 60,000 miles or 4 years.
I like to err on the safe side. Three years is probably Ok but not nine or five.
Ben
I like to err on the safe side. Three years is probably Ok but not nine or five.
Ben
-
berndtk
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 6
- Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:00 pm
Would you guys recommended doing the water pump too?
-
BenHar
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 3089
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:00 pm
- Location: Reigate, Surrey
Yes.
Ben
Ben
-
Z3I
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 3504
- Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:00 pm
- Location: By Brooklands, in the sunny south.
Something not right. Sold this spring and 35k Km since?berndtk wrote: This spring the owner sold it to the chap I'm looking at buying it from. The current owner has done new brakes, fluids all round, radiator and a few other pieces and has put 35000 KM's on it since owning it.
I'd see how much it would cost to put it on a transporter to your door, so you can check it all out at your liesure..
Selection of BMW hardtops available, please ask!
-
berndtk
- E30 Zone Newbie

- Posts: 6
- Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:00 pm
It's about 1400$ CAD to get it decked to my door.
